Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to capture @ 60FPS?

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have not gotten Character Animator yet as I am 1st trying to find out if it is possible for CA to capture webcam footage @ 60fps? Or is 30 the max?

If it's possible to do 60fps, I would probably opt for 720p @ 60fps webcam. Can CA be used @ 60FPS if the webcam supports it?

ty

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

I don't know if there is a clear yes/no answer to that one. The FPS will be affected somewhat by the compute power of the machine, quality of the memory bus, speed of disks etc.

For example,

• There are settings to adjust resolution during playback (I don't use them myself, but they are there)
  • The final render is not real time - so you can do 60fps renders - I assume they will just take twice as long
  • I don't know if you will be able to see the difference of 60fps vs 30fps given lag and smoothing in t

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if there is a clear yes/no answer to that one. The FPS will be affected somewhat by the compute power of the machine, quality of the memory bus, speed of disks etc.

For example,

• There are settings to adjust resolution during playback (I don't use them myself, but they are there)
  • The final render is not real time - so you can do 60fps renders - I assume they will just take twice as long
  • I don't know if you will be able to see the difference of 60fps vs 30fps given lag and smoothing in the program
  • I don't know what rate CH captures and analyses video at. You can reduce the fps to increase reliability. The camera is used to work out if smiling/shocked and head movements. You don't need 60fps accuracy for head movements, and it has smoothing settings to blend between values.

So while I am not saying it is wrong to get a 60fps camera or record videos at 60fps, I just don't think you need to for the quality of animations you normally create with CH. But that is a personal opinion only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thank you so much for your detailed response ^^ I'm just worried about the lip syncing not being as good if it were say in 60FPS :S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CA, images from the webcam are used to determine the location of the face and head position only.  These images are discarded after the position data has been determined.  So in this sense, CA treats the webcam more like a sensor and less like a camera.

Regarding FPS, CA will request 30fps from whatever webcam you connect.  Most modern webcams can do this, but only if you have sufficient lighting.  If the lighting in your studio is insufficient then the webcam will likely drop your framerate down to 15fps or even 5-10fps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Geoffrey - that is good to know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines