• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is scaling puppet a vector based process?

Participant ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I scale a puppet (bigger), is this a vector based process? I can't tell visually if this is the case. When I scale up - for instance, to have the puppet's face fill the scene - the lines still look pretty good, but I'd like to know for sure.

I also wonder this because if I decide to make the dimensions of my scene 4K instead of 1920x1080, the scene gets bigger, but the puppet size does not adjust relative to that change. It is smaller in the scene, so I have to scale the puppet up.

Or, should I be increasing the size of the puppet in AI and relinking?

thx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

CH will render everything as raster unless "render as vector" on the right is checked. As long as that's checked, scaling will be fine with no pixelation. Once you dynamic link to AE or PR, however, it becomes rasterized at whatever size you have in your scene.

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 10.40.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CH will render everything as raster unless "render as vector" on the right is checked. As long as that's checked, scaling will be fine with no pixelation. Once you dynamic link to AE or PR, however, it becomes rasterized at whatever size you have in your scene.

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 10.40.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. What I plan to do is send to Adobe Encoder and export as quicktime png so i can retain alpha.

I will be importing that quicktime to Toonboom...where of course no dynamic link. I will create scenes in character creator at a much higher scale than the toonboom scene so that I can have the ability to zoom in on character with toonboom camera and not lose quality... (I'll just use toonboom to scale puppet down as needed...)

This being the case, "render as vector" only matters so that the puppet does not degrade when converted to the quicktime movie? OR does it not matter in my scenario? (I'm aware that after I convert to quicktime, I lose vector abilities... )

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. For recorded or live, "render as vector" just means that things will still look good at 101%+ scale, regardless of how they're exported. I think it should be fine for your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dave, I'm coming back to this question because I still don't have a grasp on what's going on with render as vector! My workflow has since changed... I'm using CH with AE...

Let's exclude live performance. My main concern is performance while working in the timeline and quality when I link to AE or export.

1. When working in the CH timeline, I am assuming that unchecking Render as Vector and dropping resolution to 50% will improve real time performance and result in less frame dropping?

2. When I dynamic link, I understand that the file is rasterized. If I am still in progress and not worried about quality at that point, does it matter if I leave render as vector off and the resolution low? Does this put less strain on the system?

3. When I am ready to assemble a final comp in AE, does it make sense to re-connect/link with my CH scenes with Render as Vector on? (Ideally I would have room to zoom in to linked scenes in AE to at least 50%)...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines