• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to interact with the objects?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I make simple cartoons for You Tube. I used to do it in After Effects but recently I decided to try Character Animator. Now I have a few big problems. Is there a way to easily interact with the objects in the scene? In AE I simply moved my puppet arm towards specific object, then used Pick Whip to connect arm with the object and that was it. My puppet held that object. Quick and easy. In Character Animator I guess I can't do it the same way. Or maybe there is a way? Please help me I saw Okay Samurai tutorial about that topic and the answer was to make in Photoshop a hand already holding the object and use trigger in Character Animator to use that hand in proper place and time. That seems a lot of work when you dealing with story based cartoon with lot of movement, action and so on. Especially when you make it(like I do) on the spot. I would be very happy with any help in that aspect ALSO (another big problem) how do I make my puppet, for example, jump in the air? I have a problem even moving my puppet, since I can't click on my character and move it from place to place (like I did in AE). If you read this Okay Samurai, maybe you could do a tutorial that deals with a more complex animation problems? Walking without "walking cycle", jumping etc. I used to do a 1:30 min animation in 6-8h (AE) but with Character Animator that time may be even longer !!   And i want something totally oposite

sorry for my english

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can attach extra objects to puppet parts by dragging the objects into the rig panel of the puppet. For instance, if you want to attach a toy to a puppet's hand, you would drag the toy into the hand group. Then moving the hand also moves the toy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an example

Before.gif After.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make any part of the puppet draggable, just tag a handle with the Draggable tag. If you do it to the origin of a group the entire group will be moved when you drag it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having similar problems. In my case I'd like to attach a layer to the hand but have that layer on top of the body layer. There doesn't seem to be a way to connect layers to layers above or below them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can do clever nesting if the arm is not independent. As soon as the arm is independent the item has to be nested within the arm layer to be attached.

However, have a read up on magnets. They offer interesting possibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines