• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

is there a way to not affect arms when adding a walk behavior?

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a character that is mainly a big head with a very tiny hands on both sides and small legs. when I add the walk cycle the hands stretch to the middle of the head! is there a way to exclude the hands from the walking behavior? kindly note that I want the character to walk and move his legs left and right while the head is in a frontal mode and that because the hands are on top of the head, the hands' layers are in the head group, not the body.

[Images deleted by moderator.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Have you tried removing “wrist” and ”elbow” handles/tags? That is how Animator knows what to move. (The other possibility is you have the left and right arms tagged backwards. There are some different strength values you can fiddle with.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried removing “wrist” and ”elbow” handles/tags? That is how Animator knows what to move. (The other possibility is you have the left and right arms tagged backwards. There are some different strength values you can fiddle with.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untagging the hands solve the problem and excluded them from the walk cycle behavior, thanks, but I have another related question, if I want the legs to do a walk cycle when triggered without changing anything else like the head, the hands and face, is there a way to do that without duplicating all the layers to create multiple profiles (which duplicate all the behaviors, mouth, arms & eyes sets and create a very complicated system)? I tried to create a left and right profile just for the legs, but this causes them and the puppet to go crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It’s safer to create a new thread per question so they don’t get missed.

You don’t have to create profiles at the top most level of the puppet. A common pattern for a more normal character is to put the head in one layer and body in another layer with profiles. If you could organize the layers that way (eg chop the “head” into a part with the face and a lower part of arms and legs, then you can do profiles for just the arms and legs.

Note: you can create an invisible body (eg an oval or rectangle) to attach arms and legs to. Then that can go in front of the big head. Then put the body in front of (above in the layers) the Head. That can make it a bit easier than chopping up the artwork. Basically have a transparent skeletoN. (You can also put the skeleton behind the body, but the arms and legs would be behind the body which I don’t think you want)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines