• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is this supposed to be only a supplement to Affter Effects?

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been searching online and in the forums and there is almost zero information on dealing on the placement of characters and backgrounds in the scene other than "do it in After Effects." Shouldn't editing the scene in After Effects be just as important as the plethora of videos concerning editing the puppets in Photoshop and Illustrator? What am I missing?

TOPICS
FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

No, some projects you can definitely accomplish entirely in Character Animator without needing After Effects. 

The current method for placing a character and background into a scene is to use the Transform behavior. I created a short video showing how to do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDUkLWnB0AQ

As far as I understand it has been created in Character Animator only. There are tutorials on how it's been made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, some projects you can definitely accomplish entirely in Character Animator without needing After Effects. 

The current method for placing a character and background into a scene is to use the Transform behavior. I created a short video showing how to do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first attempt at this was pretty straight foward. I created a scene in Ai (178 layers) imported it into Ch along with charactors and simply placed the charactors between the layers where I wanted them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there's the answer. It's weird because I've often used the click and drag on input boxes with Unity, but I never realized I could do it with this program. Do all of the Adobe programs have this functionality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The way to do this can differ between applications. Premiere does it like Character Animator, but After Effects puts a box around newly added layers making it really easy to reposition and resize them. 

Eventually, I think we'd like to do it the way After Effects does it. In the meantime, the Transform behavior is the current way to do it, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines