• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Marionette puppet almost perfect, but one thing is off...

Participant ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a "marionette" style puppet with dangling arms and legs. No matter what I try, I cannot get the puppet to interact correctly with objects. In the GIF below I just want him to sit in the chair, but the chair moves all over the place. If I could just get it to stay still it would open up so many possibilities! I have tried many different setups and many different tag combinations to get this to work.

Using phsyics and collision makes the arms and legs go crazy or the arms and legs just fall off the body completely. This setup with dangle + collision is the cloesest that I have come. I have been at this for weeks.

Please help me just lock this dumb chair in place!

2020-12-22_13-07-13.gif

Dropbox Puppet Link 

TOPICS
Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

I guess if you remove the dynamic tag on the chair, then that problem will be solved. my solution is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htw4ekpbu6mvazf/V5%20GravityX.puppet?dl=1

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a confusing area — you did a good job getting this far!

One of the things that make it confusing is that dangly things do not interact with collide/dynamic things, you have to pick one or the other per independent grouping.

Another thing is that you have a puppet with overlapping legs (as is expected in a profile view), but that doesn't work well with collisions, as the legs are colliding any time they overlap. So I don't think you'll be able to get what you want with two independent legs.

That said, with these changes to your puppet, the chair should at least stay put and the legs will move as you drag the body over:

1. delete the "Left Leg" layer for the overlapping reason above (or you can merge it into the same independent grouping as the Right Leg)
  2. remove Dangle tags from Right Leg (since they won't interact will with Dynamic)
  3. add Collide & Dynamic tags to Right Leg (adding Dynamic automaticaly adds Collide)
  4. remove Collide tag from Right Arm
  5. remove (or turn off) the Transform behavior applied to the Tester group — it is "fighting" with the dynamics

You should now be able to move the body over the chair and the chair will stay in place while the legs move up. But they don't bend at the knee because the leg is a single independent layer. To get a knee bend, make the shin its own independent layer also set to Collide & Dynamic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the response!

I followed those steps and it definitely stopped the chair from moving and the leg does interact with the chair, but now the leg does not stay on the body. As soon as the character is moved at all the leg starts jumping around and looks very glitchy.

I think this just might be a limitation right now and you can't have collideable objects inside of a puppet.

I really appreciate the help though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you do step 5? I was seeing the same as you until I removed that Transform behavior from the Tester group.

If it's still not working for you, I'll share my version of the puppet here (can't right now as I'm posting from a different machine).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again! I wish I saw this almost a month ago now, but unfortunately my email sent the notification for your response to spam! I am only now seeing this.

I followed those steps again, and the glitchy leg went away, but the chair still moves around. If you could share your version of the fixed puppet, I would be very greatful indeed!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess if you remove the dynamic tag on the chair, then that problem will be solved. my solution is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htw4ekpbu6mvazf/V5%20GravityX.puppet?dl=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have been trying so long to solve this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines