• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MIDI triggers only recognizing notes, not MIDI commands

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am trying to map a Xbox controller so I can use it to move the charactger around in the scene and also enact other items (hands, etc). I have actually gotten this to working using a combination of loopMIDI and Fergo Joystick MIDI. The problem is that Fergo JoystickMIDI must be the top window, and in focus, for it to actually work. Poor coding on the Fergo guys part, but hey its more than I am able to do.  I tested the output and found that the Fergo Joystick is transmiting on channel 1, with "Note On" or "Note off"  as the event (Message), The Note on and Note off messages are 0x9M 0xNN 0xNN  and  0x8M 0xNN 0xNN  respectivly, (M - channel select bits and N - depends on input) with the data indicating the note (i.e. C#-1) and value (127 for fully on, 0 for off). 

Anyways, I started looking for alternatives and was able to find a piece of software called Oceanswift Xbox PS MIDI controller. Using the same setup with loopMIDI (I also tested with LoopBe1) I am able to get the Oceanswift Xbox PS MIDI controller to work and communicate with other outside applications (not CA). The data here is different though from what Fergo is transmitting but is well within the MIDI spec and is not transmitting system exclusive messages. The Channels are the same, but the event (message) is different, as well as the Data. The Oceanswift events (messages) are indicating control changes (0xCM 0xNN with M being the channel select bits and N depends on input).

Now it seems that Character Animator is only listening for the Note On/Off messages (0x9M 0xNN 0xNN), so I guess I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to get Character Animator to recognize these ControlChange commands?

a) if not, is anyone aware of another application that can map an Xbox (or similar) controller to MIDI?,

2)Is this intentional? If so why? Are there limitations that I need to be aware of? I ask because my next step if I can't figure this out with the controller is to make an android app to do it.

TOPICS
Bugs , Feature requests , Puppet movement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To add on to this, I have confirmed with another application that Control Change commands are not recognized by CA. Another anomoly I have found is that the application seems to only want to listen to whatever the default MIDI controller is, which is a challenge to change in Windows, I had to get a third party application for a seperate midi controller to be recognized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines