• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My puppet has a drinking problem.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a puppet holding a drink. Is there a way to rig the arm so that his wrist doesn't rotate with the arm? I'd like him to be able to raise his arm without pouring his drink.

In the screenshot below, you can see the cup is rotating as he moves his hand closer to his face. The goal is to keep the opening of the cup facing upward at all times.

hand-orientation-sample.png

Any ideas? I'm sure someone has probably already solved a similar issue, but my search didn't yield anything useful.

TOPICS
Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Fun artwork!

I moved the dragger for the right wrist over the arm artwork and it started working for me (and no, I don't know why, but it works!)

alank99101739_0-1651103097543.png

Also, on the Head layer, I suggest removing the handle you added with the "Head" tag and add the "Head" tag (in the properties panel) to the origin of the Head layer. It reduced strange warping of the head.

alank99101739_1-1651103198592.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try making the hand and cup independent, use "Attach To" Auto and connect it to the arm, but make the attachment type "Hinge" instead of the default "Weld".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding!

It's almost there. I made the hand and cup independent and attached it to the draggable wrist using hinge. The orientation remains vertical, but now the hand/cup is distorting based on its position. (see GIF below)

66e65a035249a46d7c253947a0b9427a.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that something is distorting the mesh. Take a look at the rig with mesh view turned on and see if you can spot the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah - maybe try adding the "Draggable" tag to the origin for example instead of having a separate handle? (Funny it does not get narrower as well...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing looks out of the ordinary. I'm attaching the puppet file, in case someone can spot something I've missed.

download puppet 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fun artwork!

I moved the dragger for the right wrist over the arm artwork and it started working for me (and no, I don't know why, but it works!)

alank99101739_0-1651103097543.png

Also, on the Head layer, I suggest removing the handle you added with the "Head" tag and add the "Head" tag (in the properties panel) to the origin of the Head layer. It reduced strange warping of the head.

alank99101739_1-1651103198592.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Yeah, I got it working too, after moving the wrist tag off of the cup and hand. I think it was being affected by the IK. Works perfectly now! Thanks for the tip about the head tag, too!

f047d34fdb1a201aa4a0d6ebcf3c7a07.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines