Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

newbie question combination Arm Ik and head turner

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Still learning about Character animator.

I made a puppet, added several positions of a face and used head turner and it worked.

If I use seperately the arm IK, it works to.

But if I try to combine the two, things go wrong. I cannot seem to make handles that work for the different head views.

Anybody had this problem and knows how to solve it?

thanks for the help!

regards,

Marco

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

A useful debugging tool is there are “Handles” and “Views” sections that can be expanded on the behaviors. This will show what the behavior is bound to.

My guess is if you expand it for IK-Arm you will find it has bound to *one* of the views (and not the others). Some of the behaviors will do that - only do one profile. In that case, what you need to do is add behaviors per profile. Puppets come with a set of common behaviors on the puppet root, but you can add them anywhere in the hierarchy. So

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A useful debugging tool is there are “Handles” and “Views” sections that can be expanded on the behaviors. This will show what the behavior is bound to.

My guess is if you expand it for IK-Arm you will find it has bound to *one* of the views (and not the others). Some of the behaviors will do that - only do one profile. In that case, what you need to do is add behaviors per profile. Puppets come with a set of common behaviors on the puppet root, but you can add them anywhere in the hierarchy. So you might add them at the Front Profile, Left Profile etc layers So you can find them again (put all the profile specific behaviors there).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2019 Feb 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the response. There were no handles links to any of the profiles. But I will try to link the IK-arm to every Profile. Hope that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, not sure why it did not bind, but that explains why it did not work. Maybe you have the wrong layer names or tags are not set up correctly? But that is the root cause of your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made a separate skeleton on every profile and that works.

But only thing is now, if I switch between profiles, the gestures differ. F.i. If the figure waves on front profile, it doesn't wave on the other profiles (unless I let it do so separate in every profile). Is this something I can fix, or do I just make these gestures for every profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the gesture is under the profile, you need to repeat per profile.  Sometimes you can rearrange the puppet by moving arms above profiles, but it’s rare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can share the same trigger though - you just drag the other profile layers over the existing triggers. So one trigger is linked to a layer in each profile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile I did that and I works. Thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you might be running into this issue:

There's also mention of it here: Re: ARM IK doesn't work ?! 

Basically, when there are tagged views for the head turner, the Arm IK tags do not get matched. I think if you just have one body and it is tagged with a view, Arm IK will correctly find it. Also, if you only have 1 set of arm tags for the body you won't have the problem you describe at the end where the different sets arms are operating independently.

Let me know how it goes. I'm not 100% sure I understand from the description. I could also help diagnose if you want to post (either via private message or on this thread) the puppet for reference/diagnosis.

Thanks! -- Dan Tull

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(oops, didn't reload the page before posting the reply to see there were some additional answers, hopefully this is still helpful)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines