No or minimal eye movement.

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm new to character animator and have recently attempted creating a puppet. I've followed many tutorials and I have at least managed to have the body working the way I want it to. However, I keep having a repeated issue.

I started off the puppet with the head, rigged the eyes as best I could but I encountered an issue which I fixed when reading another discussion on this forum. Once I start with the body, the same thing seemed to happen; anything I added, despite not having any relation (example the arm or leg), affected the eyes or left them without movement, which meant I had to go back and fix them multiple times. In my most recent attempt in fixing the eyes, they now have little to no movement, with camera, keyboard or mouse. Ive fixed the tags best as I could, the layer structure doesn't seem to be the problem (though I could be wrong), tried clipping masks but nothing.

I figured it was time to ask for some help as I am very stuck and time limited. If anyone has had similar issues please let me know what I can do to fix this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of the rigging hierarchy? It is most likely a tagging issue or similar. E.g. layer names can get autotagged when you don’t expect it.

My blog post on eyes is here if useful. Eyes are tricky, so I wrote up how I debug them: https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/04/21/debugging-character-animator-eyess/

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 11.36.32 AM.png

Hi! Thanks for commenting! Heres the screenshot of how I have things layered up. Somehow the eyes stopped being unresponsive so I used clipping masks to keep them inside the area I wanted them to be. However the pupils themselves keep going beyond of the whites. I'm also aware some layer names are repeated or make no sense, but as I leave them they don't seem to cause problems. I feel as if moving them might give me another issue to fix. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would be useful to see the Left Eye and Right Eye layers expanded to see what is inside them.

Also, my understanding of clipping is all following layers are used in the mask - so the Left Eye would be clipped by Left Pupil Range and the right eye and Right Pupil Range layers. (If you look at the blog post I shared, I show how I normally use the clipping mask if any help.) In your case it might work, but it might play up at times in ways you don’t expect.

Normally I would put the Pupil Range layers inside the “Left/Right Eye” layers. I am not sure they will have any effect if not under the Eye layer. CH uses scoping at times - e.g. it will look for “Left/Right Eye”, then under that look for tagged layers for pupil range etc. This is so you can have different eyes (e.g. for different profiles or swap sets) that don’t conflict. So I *suspect* your pupil range layers being not under the Eye layers will be being ignored, which is why the pupils move more than expected.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines