• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

one frame take has additional unwanted motion

Participant ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to animate using a key framing approach. So, I imagined I could pose my character (just working with arms at the moment) using the dragger. Then, record a single frame, drag it out, then repeat for each new arm position. (Dragger is set to "hold in place").

It mostly works, except when I play back to extended single frame, there is extra unexpected / undesired movement. I can't figure out why this is.

Best understood in a video... notice how the bicep has a rubbery quality to it...

This is how the arm is rigged up:

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 7.46.47 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

I am guessing if you don’t want interpolation you would need to export png frames and sequence them in AE or similar. Or create a separate puppet instance per frame (!!)! Or separate short sequences you join back together... I think at that point you just try things and you get what you get!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you exporting a video and playing that, or using "play back" mode directly in CH?  Playback mode takes some shortcuts to keep the application responsive while editing etc, and so little things can sneak in. You might find that the final render does not have the problem.

Note also however there can be problems typically at the start of a scene as objects settle into their new positions. Not sure if you are hitting that problem - which just is a problem. I sometimes put extra draggers (e.g. on elbows) to help stop that bounce effect.

But I would start with the first one - export the final video and see if that looks okay. If so, its just playback mode making some approximations for speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rendered the video and yes the "bouncing" behavior is not present. In fact, it stopped before I exported. Who knows...

Another thing, however is the motion interpolating (correct description ?) between 1 frame takes. You'll notice in the video, that the move from rest position to the second position and to the third position look like a jump cut (which is what I want). But, the next move (extending arm) looks like a sort of tweening behavior. It doesn't just jump from one position to the next. I'm guessing this is just some way the math works?

I'm guilty of often trying to make software operate in a way it wasn't designed... lol... is this one of those moments? My thought is that I would like to record a position, stop, change position with dragger, record....  and not have motion interpolated between the positions. It seems to do this sometimes, but not others. I can live with the way it functions (cuz its still awesome)...just trying to have it exactly my way!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and yes, this is an exported video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing if you don’t want interpolation you would need to export png frames and sequence them in AE or similar. Or create a separate puppet instance per frame (!!)! Or separate short sequences you join back together... I think at that point you just try things and you get what you get!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

... a follow up for anyone with a similar problem. My issue was with rotating the arm at the shoulder point using the dragger. I left the dragger in place, but rotated the arm using a transform (rotation)behavior. Still did the one frame take, just without dragging. The stopped the post-move bouncing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines