Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Only upper level eyes will animate in head turn

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I am having an issue with my puppet's head turn. The mouth works on all three heads, but the eyes will only animate on whichever head I drag to the top of my head sequence.

Here is my puppet:

WeTransfer

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Silly me. I just re-read your original question!  Add a "Eye Gaze" behavior to your "Front profile", "Left Profile" and "Right Profile" under "Head". The eye gaze at the root of the puppet only controls one set of eyes. You need to add extra behaviors for the other profiles. (At least that worked for me when I added them.)  That is why only the first profile worked - the root eye gaze behavior latched onto those eyes.

But I think you will want to increase the eyeball size - the eyes cannot move m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Katelyn,

seems like there are some errors in your file. On your Right profile you spelled "Rihgt" incorrectly... so that breaks it. and in your Left Profile its called "Right Eyeball COPY" "and right blink COPY" it should say "Right Eye" and "Left Eye" etc.

also looks like you have TWO versions of the Right Profile and two versions of the Left Profile.

and lastly looks like your Blink on your right profile are not located on TOP Of the eyeballs.

Hope this helps. Just clean up your file.

cheers,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark!

Funny enough, the right profile is not the face I'm having trouble with, since it's at the top of the list. It's the two underneath- left and frontal. In any case, I've cleaned up my files names - yes they were a disaster - but am still having the same problem.

So under

+Petri

+Frontal

Head

Whichever head I put next underneath "Head", be it "frontal", "left profile" or "right profile", that is the head whose eyebrows and eyes will move. For the other two underneath, the mouth will move but not the eyes or eyebrows. So just now, I dragged "frontal" to be the top of the list and the eyes are working on it, but if I were to drag "left profile" to the top, it would be the one where the eyes work and the other two don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried, the puppet moved right okay. When standing still the head would turn left and right profile with the head turner okay. The only problem I can see is the left profile for the walk behavior is not working well. I think that is because you are missing handles tagged with "Hip" and "Waist" etc. That is if you click on the three Body layers for the walk turning profiles, you see the first Body has a "3" (Neck, plus to fixed pins for the feet, but the origin has the Waist tag),

the second Body has "2" (waist and hip handles, but no Neck)

And the third Body has no tags. The left and right arm rigging are not finished either (anchor is not in right spot). Basically the Right Profile under the Walk behavior has lots more handles defined that then Left Profile for the knees, elbows etc to make the Walk behavior work. I think you just need to get them correct and it will work. That is, go through the Right Profile and mimic all the handles and tags for each layer in the Left Profile. I think that will fix most of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: I was assuming it is intensional that facing forwards you have a head turner, and when walking left or right you don't want/need a head turner. If that is the case, what you have is fine. You just need  to finishing rigging up walking for the Left Profile (similar to the Right Profile).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly me. I just re-read your original question!  Add a "Eye Gaze" behavior to your "Front profile", "Left Profile" and "Right Profile" under "Head". The eye gaze at the root of the puppet only controls one set of eyes. You need to add extra behaviors for the other profiles. (At least that worked for me when I added them.)  That is why only the first profile worked - the root eye gaze behavior latched onto those eyes.

But I think you will want to increase the eyeball size - the eyes cannot move much at present because the eyeballs are so small compared to the pupil size. Sometimes an eye goes backwards as well, which I think happens when the pupil is outside of the eyeball size. See also Debugging Adobe Character Animator Eyes – Extra Ordinary, the Series for my general advice on eyes (but I have not updated to mention the "crazy eyes" effect yet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so so much!!!!! I had spent two days re-doing him over and over. I'm happy it's such an easy fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the cleaned up file

https://we.tl/j0ZcjRHyKV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think it might have been a good idea for you to start with a template, like Dr. Applesmith Claymation character that has a head turn (Click on Start to the left of "Rig" in Character Animator and download Dr. Applesmith).

Most of your file looks better ... but you have a lot of duplicates. You only need ONE head and one body inside your Character. Then inside the HEAD folder you will have THREE folders   for +Frontal, +Right Profile and +Left Profile. Then inside of these three folders you will have eyebrows, eyes, nose, mouth, etc. and those folders will be duplicates.

Hope this helps!

cheers!
mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only the Right Eye moves on my puppet. The Left eye does not. The naming conventions are correct. They are exact duplicates. What's going on? Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Providing a screenshot of the rigging hierarchy can help, but ultimately sometimes it's quickest if you can share the exported puppet - others can then have a look at the puppet and try to track down the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines