• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixelating Problem and Rendering as Vector Issue New Bug?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,
Today I noticed that just the mouth layers on my puppet were pixelating. So I researched pixelating issues and it suggested I try rendering as Vector. I did that and most of my mouth layers disappeared. When I undo it they return but the mouths themselves are still pixelated.
So I can't render as vector without losing the mouths, which are pixelated anyway so I've hit a wall.

I've looked high and low but at this point I'm at a loss and looking for some suggestions.

If it helps:
The character was made in illustrator on an Artboard of 3000x3000 pixels.
The mouths that have disappeared seem to all be the ones with a white layer made using illustrator live paint to fill.

TOPICS
Bugs , How to , Puppet movement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! That is interesting. If you did not see them at all that would be one thing, but they flicker in and out. A few questions:

• Is the artwork file PSD or AI?
  • Do you use cycle layers on the viseme layers?
  • Do you see the pixelization all the time, or only if you zoom in on the face?
  • Are you using Ch to do any zooming? Or AE/PremPro?

For example, I use AI files. If I zoom inside CH, it zooms before converting to pixels. If you zoom in Prem Pro or AE then it pixelizes before sending them the video, so scaling afterwards can create problems. An easy solution might be to change where you are zooming (which does not explain the bug, but might work around it).

The reason I was asking about the cycle layers on visemes is to work out whether the issue is with the last frame of the cycle. It is strange something appears and disappears. The other cause is something appears in front. But if it works without render as vector then that is just a bit weird. (I have never used render as vector to be honest.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done some digging. 

The mouths that disappear were all done in .AI and colored using live paint. 

The ones that remain were just one solid line (neutral mouth) or solid circle (w-oo) 

So what I just did was make a new test mouth layer without using live paint and it appeared. So I can go back and make new mouths for all missing mouths. 

But... when I clicked on render as vendor one of the giraffe spots that was a lesser opacity suddenly turned to its regular color. Can't seem to win here. 

I don't know why using live paint would have such a reaction. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, as to your question. I am zooming in Character Animator. The character starts on screen around 65% and moves to 120%. But the mouth is pixelating at all times

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My gut reaction is if the file is an Illustrator file, and you have used a vector line for say the mouth and it is pixelizing, then "render as vector" probably won't help. (I could be wrong, but something else sounds funny.) I use vectors in Illustrator and zoom like 500% without problem. So curious. (If you drop bitmap images into an Illustrator file, of course they will still pixelate when scaled.)

Could you provide a screenshot of the pixelization? E.g.PrintScreen to get a screen grab and upload that (rather than a photo with a separate camera).

I think Illustrator files have "document properties" that talk about resolution there... hmm, cannot find it. Just curious what it said.

What resolution is your scene? If the scene is lower resolution than your monitor, you might see pixelization due to that maybe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines