• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please Help this has stomped me for weeks!!

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"ve created a character in character animator, I'm trying to use the walk behavior to make him walk across the scene.  Everything seems to be working properly other than the head.  The doesn't turn with the body during the walk cycle and I can't for the life of me figure out why this is.  Every time I add the neck tag to the head it either causes the puppet not to walk at all and the head moves (bounces) or it just doesn't do anything.  If anyone can help with this Id greatly appreciate it!

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.17.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.18.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.22.17 AM.png

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a bit confused by the puppet structure. You have a “Frontal” layer right at the top (above Head and Body), then profiles under both Head and Body. If you want the Head and Body to always turn together, I would have at the top level Frontal/Left Profile/Right Profile for the Walk behavior to use. Under that goes Head and Body (so you will have 3 Head/Body pairs in total - one per profile).

If you want the Frontal walk profile (when puppet not walking) to be able to turn heads with webcam, you can put a Head Turner behavior on Toye 1/Frontal/Head (so it does not conflict with the Walk behavior controlling Toye 1/Frontal).

But you need to decide whether you want the head following the body, or the head following the web cam. If you can explain that, we can work through the right puppet hierarchy structure to get the turns as you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thank you for responding to my issue here, I'm a newbie to character animator and I was trying to follow a few different tutorials on how to get things done right.  I'll be sure to change the structure as you indicate here, now that you say it that is very confusing.  But I would like for the head to follow the camera in the frontal mode, and follow the body when it walks.  Is this possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did something similar. I don't know if this will help. (The puppet worked!)Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Markd thank you, but i have a few questions, does the head turn and walk with the puppet? Also does the head move with the camera in the frontal mode? And did you put your behaviors on the main puppet "Albert Puppet Flat" or on each individual view of the puppet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it doesn't. I tried, but failed! I ended up making two puppets, probably because of my impatience. All the Behaviours are  on the top level of the hierarchy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This  hierarchy appears to work.Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is definitely possible. It is completely reasonable to have the head follow the body as it walks left and right, and have the head turner (web cam) turn the head when frontal.

The normal way you structure things is I put the walk behavior at the top level. That is particularly true in your case since head turner is only needed for one direction the puppet is facing. (If you wanted the head to not follow the body as it walk you would use a different structure.)

So, at the top you have your puppet name, then under that you have a profile for Frontal, Left Profile, and Right Profile. Put the Walk Behavior at the top of the puppet So it controls those profiles. Under each profile have a Head and Body (like the previous reply shows).

I would try to get the puppet walking left and right and picking the right head. Make sure that works.

Then work under the “Frontal” profile. Under Head, make sure there are profiles for each of the head turns. Since the body does not change, so it should *not* be under head turn Profiles. Then on the Frontal/Head layer, add a Head Turner behavior. By putting it under the “Frontal” profile for the walk behavior, you won’t get a conflict between the Walk behavior (controlling the top level profiles) and the Head profiles.

(Personally I think it was a mistake that CH uses the same Profile tags for walking and head turns. It means you need to be careful where you place behaviors since both the Walk behavior and the Head Turner behavior are looking for layers with the same tags.)

So you end up with

Puppet

- Frontal

- - Head

- - - Frontal

- - - - Eyes etc

- - - Left Profile

- - - - Eyes etc

- - - Right Profile

- - - - Eyes etc

- - Body

- Left Profile

- - Head

- - - Eyes etc

- - Body

- Right Profile

- - Head

- - - Eyes etc

- - Body

You may be able to call the top layers “Walk Left Profile”, “Walk Right Profile”, ”Walk Frontal” (never tried it, but might work) and the child profile layers “Head Left Profile”, etc. The question is whether it will find the tags. Normally it looks for a substring match. So the Walk behavior would still match “Head Left Profile” if you put the behavior in the wrong place (because the tag is just “Left Profile”) but it might make the puppet clearer for humans to understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this information, I will make the changes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Combining walk and head turns is possible, but tricky. This slightest error throws things off.  Personally I frequently use different puppets (I don’t use the walk behavior much in my projects). At end of day, if you get the video done its good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines