• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Position Data to After Effects

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to export position data of something within CA to After Effects?  I have a character carrying a torch as they walk, and I want to link a few different layers in it to illuminate my background, but having a helluva time tracking the position in AE.  Was hoping there's a simple way to do this.

TOPICS
Dynamic link , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I vaguely remember someone using a colored dot that AE then could track... but no other data I know of - just the image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also think it would be useful to be able to pass Adobe Character Animator's location information to Adobe After Effects.
However, it seems that we can only hope for that in the future version.

Have you tried motion tracking in Adobe AfterEffects?
Can you track the torch to control the position of the light?
I think that is the simplest and easiest way at the moment.

Here is a reference tutorial.
https://youtu.be/tqWWhChc8RA
https://youtu.be/JUCoG7qwYNo
https://youtu.be/Vt0JuFNHi-U

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a tutorial that may be more helpful

https://youtu.be/y1AYSpmWlxo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the links.  I've actually done a fair bit of motion tracking in After Effects previously, with both the built in tracker and Mocha, and for whatever reason this footage just will not track.  First I think it was because my source from CA were 8K PNGs and Motion Tracking and Mocha wouldn't even start even though I'm on a pretty high end system.  Then I tried a Dynamic Link file, which had better results, but would slip off after a handful of frames in regular Motion Tracking.   Mocha had better results.

I guess the answer is lower resolution 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly there isn't an easy way to do this currently. I have done the colored dot trick a few times for motion tracking in AE. I would love if there was an option to make AE nulls out of any CH custom handles, but unfortunately we don't have that ability yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's too bad.  If I remember the way it was handled in particleIllusion 20ish years ago, they just exported the X Y screen position coordinates of an object with a script and spit out a text file that said

1 (1846, 1066) 

for each frame. I guess there's no scripting in CH to do this sort of thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines