Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Postion-based walk not working

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

For some reason the position-based walk is not working, the character moves between position keyframes but the feet are not walking. I am using downloaded characters. not creating my own!
So what am I missing here?

In some tuorials, the guy just add 2 keyframes for postion and the characyter is walking.

Any help please?

TOPICS
How to , Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the character rigged for walking? If they don't have the proper tags then the feet won't move. Did you try this with the Eliza example character from okaysamurai.com/puppets? If so can you post a video of what happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing the same issue  with the Eliza example character from okaysamurai website using the position based walking option.  She just slides from position one to position two.  Can you please help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the behavior that I am seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this short video I made:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gntEzrpZg4St64MrMoOJgRcjzy_RwlKE/view?usp=sharing

With position based, the distance of the keyframes is what matters. Closer together keyframes should see a stronger effect, where further apart ones will seem like the character is sliding. If you move your keyframes closer together does that help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Transform > Position X starting and stopping keyframes set.

So I have the starting position and the ending position.

It doesn't seem to have any effect on the Position-Based walking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the issue - you need to use the psotion keyframe in the Walk behavior, not Transform. See how I do this in the video above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I don't understand position-based walking. The video you reference does not show how to walk from one specific location to another specific location within a four-second window in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It may be difficult to follow, but walking between two locations is exactly what it's showing. The steps are:

• Click the stopwatch next to Walk > Position to create a keyframe.
  • Drag the blue Position number so the character is on one side of the screen.
  • Move the playhead to another time (in the video this is 5 seconds).
  • Drag the blue Position number again so the character is on the other side of the screen.
  • Play the sequence and, if rigged correctly, the character will walk from one position to the next.
  • Adjust the keyframes to be closer or farther apart to adjust walk speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your response and video! That did the trick.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad you never got an answer. I am also having trouble with position-based walking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines