Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems importing illustrator Files - URGENT

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am having issues when importing an AI file. I named all layers properly - but, as you can see - the layers look totally different in CA. I used clipping masks in illustrator (for different colors on the tentacles f. e. ) and these seem to cause the problems. I also tried to save the files with "CC Legacy"-option. I am working with the latest version of all programs (the issues also appear in CA 2018 and CA 2019)

Any ideas how to solve the problem? Help would be VERY APPRECIATED as I have to finish the commission by tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Best wishes,
NashaBildschirmfoto 2020-06-10 um 20.57.06.pngKrake_layers.jpgBildschirmfoto 2020-06-10 um 21.01.54.png

TOPICS
Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clipping masks in Illustrator can definitely cause funky visuals in Character Animator. Often times I will make a shape for a clipping mask and then actually set it as a clipping mask inside CH (which means that my puppet might look funny in AI because some art isn't masked). Here's info on how to set a clipping mask: https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-character-animator/using/puppet-layers.html#:~:text=Choose%20Puppet%20...

Another option is to make a lean version of your puppet just for CH. Expand your paths so you only have art that looks exactly like it does in that second screenshot, then it should import into CH just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for you hlep.

I found a workaround. I exported everything as psd file - Photoshop converts it to a shape anyway. Than it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great, glad that's working for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, do you remember if there was some trick like turning things into smart objects or similar? I think it made Illustrator cache a copy of the artwork which CH could then use. I don't quite remember what feature it was though. I recall it fixed some of the problems (but not all).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall anything like that. Are you maybe thinking of disabling the option to vectorize/continuously rasterize the art? If so, I don't think that would work, but if that's not it I can't remember if there are any other options that could help do something like make a smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines