• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with Alt Mouth (Alt Mouth not moving)

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm having problems with using +AltMouth. When I trigger it, my AltMouth does not seem to move at all.

I have some pictures to show what I've done:

Swap Set CEO vs. Chloe.png

Here I've put them into a swap set like Chloe (My character left, Chloe right)

Chloe Altmouth and Behaviors.png

Here are what the cycle layers are for Chloe's altmouth.

CEO Altmouth Behaviors.png

Here is what behaviors I have for my characters alt mouth cycle layers.

CEO Mouth Behaviors.png

If wanted here are my character's behaviors for mouth cycle layers.

CHloe Alt Mouth and Layer.png

Here is Chloe's altmouth layer settings

AltMouth Layer.png

Here is my character's altmouth layer settings

CEO Mouth Layer.png

Here is my character's mouth layer settings.

So I really don't know what to do to get my alt mouth to work. I'm all out of ideas and seem to have copied both chloe's and my character's mouth settings (Which seem to be working) fairly well. I would very much appreciate any help on this.

TOPICS
Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds more like the lipsync behavior has found the main mouth but not the alt mouth. If you expand then handles, views etc or the lipsync behavior, can you see what layers it has bound to? Did it find th4 alt mouth? I don't recall if the lip sync behavior can control multiple mouths... you either just need to tag the alt mouth layer as a mouth, or you need a second lipsync behavior. I suspect because you did not put a space in "AltMouth" it has not tagged it as a mouth layer. Try tagging that layer the same as mouth and see if that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, my set up is 
MOUTH folder
----nuetral mouth
------ah
------oh
------etc
--- sad mouth
-------ah
-------oh
-------etc

I then toggle through the emotion sets
I've been using the the key actions rather than swap sets though

I think I have "mouth" on the main mouth
and then lip sync behavior on the individual emotion folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you provide a screen shot of the "LipSync" properties, expanded? Here is an example from another community member puppet with alternative mouths.

alank99101739_0-1597705190277.png

This one has 3 head turn profiles, and two expressions (default and sad). That leads to 6 combinations of mouths. See how the "Mouth" has a 6 next to it in the properties panel to the right? Also Neutral, Aa etc all have 6 next to them as well? If you expand them, you can see that it found all the mouth positions under each of the profiles.

Your hierarchy looks fine, so what I would be checking next is the LipSync behavior like this one. Did "Aa" bind all all the record layers? (That is, the Aa layer in each mouth group.) Did all the parent "Neutral Mouth" and "Sad Mouth" etc groups get listed under "Mouth" in Lipsync? If not, did they have the "Mouth" tag on them? In my previous post I noted you had "Mouth" and "AltMouth". That would put the tag on "Mouth", but not "AltMouth". (I think it would have put a tag on if you put a space in the name, "Alt Mouth" - it looks for words in the layer name.)

If LipSync did correctly bind to all the mouth layers and visemes under them, then we can move on to the next stage. Is it just cycle layers not working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hover the mouse over Lip Sync’s Mouth parameter, the tooltip says Matches layers tagged with “Mouth Group”. So perhaps what’s missing here is that AltMouth group needs to be tagged with the Mouth Group layer tag (not the similar Mouth handle tag, which is used by the Face behavior for _moving_ the mouth as opposed to _grouping_ the mouth shapes by Lip Sync). As Alan points out, if the “AltMouth” folder in PS/Ai were named “Alt Mouth”, it would be auto-tagged correctly. Since the space is missing, you’ll need to select the AltMouth folder and click the Mouth Group tag manually. That then tells the Lip Sync behavior to treat the whole folder as a mouth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you have figured this out by now - but for those who might stumble on this - I got it to work! 
You need to make sure "Lip Sync" behaviour is removed or non-existent on any part of the puppet. 
Then group your mouth swaps under a folder (I named mine "Talking"). Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 12.27.21 AM.png

Add the Lip Sync behavior to that folder. From there make sure each swap set has the mouth tag / blue group tag "Mouth Group"

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 12.26.30 AM.png

Good luck and Happy Making!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had kind of the opposite issue: My +AltMouth visemes were working, as in the visemes were tagged and synching fine. But the alternate mouth was not moving along with the face, so I had to reverse engineer from the solution posted here. I tagged the Talking group as Mouth and the two swap sets as Mouth Group(s).

I suggest Adobe change these tags to clarify between them. Imagine if you're new to this app how off putting it would be. Maybe Talking Group and Mouth; or Mouth and Visemes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines