Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puppet behaves strangely on export

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm a complete beginner and I'm working on my first project (steep learning curve!)

In the attached snippet the puppet moves to the left of the screen and I've used the left arrow to get the 'walk' action.

Everywhere else this has worked, but this time the puppet stoops badly and has a distorted face during the movement.

I've deleted, replaced, copied, pasted and re-exported multiple times but can't fix it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Puppet movement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "everywhere else," do you mean on other computers or having the walking action in other parts of the animation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I mean the same action on other parts of the same timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me for having so many questions. Does this only happen when you export the scene or when you're recording the scene as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only when exported. Everything looks normal when recording.

Get Outlook for iOS<>

+44 1753 897720
+44 7785 972329
furniturevillage.co.uk

[cid:emailsignature320pxx120px-01_abfcc7ef-8a28-4cb8-a671-a279e62ed6cf.png]

Please Note
If you have received this email and it wasn't meant for you then our apologies. Please let us know by calling 01753 897720 so we don't make the same mistake again and please also delete the email from your system without opening any files or attachments. We have taken utmost care to check this e-mail and contents for viruses but we would always recommend it's best for you to carry out your own checks too if you are concerned. Kind regards, Furniture Village.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very strange. I assume you're using quick export? Try using the Media Encoder export instead (or vice versa).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've been trying both quick export and also using Media Encoder.

The results are the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, we're scraping the edge of my expertise here. Normally, what I would do at this point is look for alternatives for the behavior, such as using the walk actions in the motion library. I'm not sure if that puppet is set up for using motion library (it should be), but if not, add the motion library behavior at the root of the puppet, in the same place as the Body and Limb IK behaviors. Give me the link to the puppet and I'll check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Is motion library something I should be using already?

How do I share the puppet? Do I export the puppet and upload the file to here?

Thank you for trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction to my previous answer.

I just deleted the Position markers in 'transform' and deleted the keyboard input for 'walk'.

When I redid these things the strange behaviour DID appear during the recording.

The odd thing is that it looks perfectly normal on playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just send me the link from where you downloaded the puppet so I don't have to look for it myself. For future reference, exporting a puppet is in the same menu as exporting a scene, just select puppet. This forum isn't equipped to handle files, so puppet uploads would require a file sharing service like google drive or dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I suspected, the character isn't designed for use with the motion library. I'm still scratching my head over the export problem. Clearly, the Media Encoder is picking up on some subtleties that can't be seen in the timeline. I'll need to take a closer look at Alex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I need to invest in some decent puppets!

Please don't waste any more of your time on this. As it's my first project I think perhaps I'll just start again.

All good experience.

Thanks very much for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest using the "Friday" puppetmaker puppet. It's got a nice, basic look, and it's easy to use with walk or body tracking. (However, you'll need to use transform to get it to face the other direction). Do you need any assistance with the puppetmaker?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I really need a few business characters to use for training videos.

I'll have a play in Puppetmaker but think I might need to go for a few paid options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I tell if the puppets use Motion Library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way is to look at the puppet's behaviors in a scene and see if Motion Library is among the behaviors. That doesn't mean it can't use motion library. Any puppet that's rigged to use body tracking can have the motion library behavior added to it. Here's a good page to check out: Motion Library (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have a look at that intro video tomorrow. Thanks very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I did notice that the Alex puppet was missing a knee tag on the left leg in the left profile. I do not know if that is causing the problem or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

I just realised that I was not on the most up to date version of CH.

I've just updated to v23.1 and re-exported, and everything is now ok!

Thank you so much for all your help.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines