• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puppet distortion

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have been working on a project where I want to animate the head movement of the puppet, and allow the hair to dangle. I can't see to get it right. I have a distortion of the face when I move the head around and I can't seem to figure out why. My pupils are also not moving at all and they should be.

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try turning on the mesh icon in the scene panel (bottom left i think) - it shows yellow triangles all over the selected layer. You can see how the mesh distorts and which bits do not move. Where it does not move can give a hint which part is getting stuck.

I notice you have left/right eye not independent. That is okay (but i normally make them independent too, for cartoon-ish characters). But you have eyeball above pupil? That seems a bit strange to me. I am wondering if the pupils are hidden behind your eyeball layers by mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I swapped the eyeball and pupil, makes sense, but still am getting no eye movement. Not with the camera input or with keyboard input. I'm still not sure what's happening with the face distortion. It seems like something is wrong with the right side of the puppets face, the left side isn't distorting as much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant it seems like something is wrong with the left side of the puppets face (not right)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-08-10 130059.pngScreenshot 2021-08-10 130136.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to scene mode, put that mesh on, and move your head around, can you see parts that are getting "stuck"? Eg is the nose not moving? That sort of thing the mesh can help highlight what is not moving as you move your head around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I missed some of the other screenshots you provided. It looks like the mouth is not moving to me... or the bottom of the nose. The mesh might clarify which of the two it is.

Regarding eyes and pupil movement, there are "pupil range" and "pupil size" tags. The eyeball by default sets the range. If the pupil size layer (Right Pupil is tagged with this by default) is the same size as pupil range (the eyeballs normally define this), then there is no room for the eye to move. So either draw the whites of the pupile larger (might need to hide behind other artwork, which can be a pain), or add another layer which is a circle that defines how far the pupil should be able to move, call it "Left Pupil Range", then hide the layer. So it exists only to control the eye movement. https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/04/21/debugging-character-animator-eyess/

See also https://www.okaysamurai.com/CHFAQ/ for a good source of tutorials on specific topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines