• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puppet Maker "Cowfolk" legs are not working in Motion Library

Engaged ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use a customized Cowfolk puppet. He is 3/4 facing to his right. When he walks with Motion Library, his distant (right) leg comes over the top of his near (left) leg during the strides. 

When I click the Edit Original icon in the Project panel and open the puppet in Photoshop, the puppet doesn't have a right leg and a left leg. It just has "legs." So, I can't put the left leg above the right leg to correct the layering problem.

Any recommendations on how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Bugs , Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

(This has nothing to do with the motion library. Any other means to animate Cowfolk legs will end up having the same issue.)

This is because Cowfolk's lower body is made up of a single "Legs" layer and CH has no way of deciding the draw order.

Screenshot 2023-02-10 092444.jpg

In contrast, puppets like Hopscotch do not have this issue because the left and right legs are independent art layers.

Screenshot 2023-02-10 092158.jpg

To fix this for Cowfolks, you have to go to the source PSD file, separate the lower body into independent layers, and re-rig.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(This has nothing to do with the motion library. Any other means to animate Cowfolk legs will end up having the same issue.)

This is because Cowfolk's lower body is made up of a single "Legs" layer and CH has no way of deciding the draw order.

Screenshot 2023-02-10 092444.jpg

In contrast, puppets like Hopscotch do not have this issue because the left and right legs are independent art layers.

Screenshot 2023-02-10 092158.jpg

To fix this for Cowfolks, you have to go to the source PSD file, separate the lower body into independent layers, and re-rig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it would be something like that.

I sure wish there were more Puppet Maker puppets that worked right out of the box--and a way to tell what the limitations are before you spend a lot of time trying to get them to work.

I need 6 to 8 customizable walking puppets (half facing 3/4 right, half facing 3/4 left) for a client deliverable.

Since I am unfamiliar with Photoshop, I guess I'll start over.

Thank you for responding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you with AI? CH will accept puppets in AI format as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't touched AI in over 15 years, and then it was for IT hardware drawings, not character drawings. I have a deadline that won't permit me to re-learn it for my current project.

Thank you for responding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We have a lot of puppets you can download (free and paid) that walk and face 3/4 left and 3/4 right. You can modify them - most are built in Adobe Illustrator. Something there may do what you require. Worth taking a look;

https://www.electropuppet.com/adobe-character-animator-puppet-store/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines