Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puppet Movement

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

When moving the character's face using the camera I've noticed the whole body moves too. Is there anyway the head can move on its own (side to side) without the body moving too and the body can just remain static? 

I've tried using this method with the face camera movement and I literally just want the head to move. 

Wondering if anyone could please assist. 

Thank you

TOPICS
Camera , FAQ , How to , Puppet movement , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the properties panel, look for the Head and Body Turner properties. You might have two, one for the head and one for the body. Make sure the Head Turner is set only for head rotation and the Body Turner is set only for body rotation. In extreme cases, you can turn off the camera input for the body rotation by clicking on the red dot next to camera input. You can also adjust the sensitivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response TheOriginal GC, much appreciated. 

I can't seem to locate the body and head turner options, please find attached screenshots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chloe isn't designed to turn. I'm not sure what's happening here. Are you experiencing difficulties with a different puppet? Or are you experiencing problems with the puppet moving laterally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, moving laterlally. 

Using Chole as a template, I just want her head to move laterally side to side by itself, without the body moving too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an extreme solution for the head tilt: Put a stick across the shoulders and tag it with "fixed." This will freeze the body and only tilt the head. You may want to go into the Face properties and adjust the head tilt strength.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure I'll try that. Thank you. 

Lastly please TheOriginalGC, possible to delete the post with the screenshots please on your end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you make the Head group independent (crown icon) it will move without the body, but it will look pretty detached.

I also removed the screenshots from before as requested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chloe's hair moves strangely when the head is independent. It was one of the first things I tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah true, she has that back hair group that is counting on the head being dependent.

Yes, in general, the way a recommended rig in CH works is the body moves with the head. Your best bet is to play with the Face strength settings under the behavior to get what you're looking for. Face > Position Strength is probably the most prominent case of head = body movement, dialing that down can help a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out Hopscotch the green frog template puppet. 

* Turn off the body tracking.
* In the properties panel, you'll see two Face behaviors. Face and Face[Head]. Face[Head] is the one that controls head tilt. If you want to disable the body position/tilt completely, you can remove the Face behavior entirely, or adjust the parameters to make it work the way you like. 

This is my preferred way to rig. I have one behavior that controls the body and another that only controls the head. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see that you wanted the Chloe puppet to do this. This puppet is rigged for only one Face behavior unlike Hopscotch, but it could be converted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

Apologies for delayed response, I had to go away with work. 

Thank you all for the swift responses and help, always duly appreciated. I'll be trying these methods over the weekend and see what I come up with. 

Once again sincere thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines