• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puppet "Jerks" when using walk behavior...

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello me again! I'm getting there with this puppet however im noticing a "jerk" movement when initiating the walk behavior (using left and right arrow keys) doesnt seem to happen every time though - anyone any ideas? 

big thankssss!!!

https://vimeo.com/460504680

TOPICS
How to , Puppet movement , Rigging , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

In your walk behaviors, try setting the 'Start/Stop Easing' to 0sec.

It is trying to ease your puppet to the original rigged state, and you are likely starting and ending the walk with a pose you have set. 

Hope that helps you MrRadical!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your walk behaviors, try setting the 'Start/Stop Easing' to 0sec.

It is trying to ease your puppet to the original rigged state, and you are likely starting and ending the walk with a pose you have set. 

Hope that helps you MrRadical!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow how simple was that?! honestly that was driving me crazy - i had it set to a relitivley small ease 0.2 soon as i reduced it to 0 it solved this issue, amazing how such a small change can have such an effect. many thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My *guess* is there is something about the head or top of shoulders that is making the top of the puppet "stuck". The head does not move up and down as it walks. What then happens (is my guess) is the first frame the walk and the "stuck" behavior are fighting it out and the other one wins for the slightest of moments. (E.g. due to the ramp up time Smidio mentioned) Then the "stuck" behavior wins. So you get this single frame of strange jitter. The difference when walking in the other direction because perhaps the handle or whatever is causing it to be stuck is in a different place relative to the other handles, so it behaves a bit different.

So how to fix it. Well, if I am right, you would need to find and remove the "stuck" handle. E.g try deleting half of the layers on the head (like the eyes and eyebrows and mouth and nose) and see if the jitter still occurs, then delete more, until there is nothing left or the jitter stops. Then undo and put them back - basically by trial and error see if there is something you delete that makes the jitter go away. I consider it a highly scientific method of "trial and error until you get lucky!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help so far Alan. There is actually a head bobs on both sides albeit very small. Though i think you might be right about the handle issue - ill have to back track and find out where that particular issue lies and try to sort however, the instruction left by smidio has worked for now 🙂 ta!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One of my little mottos with CH is "if you got it working to your satisfaction DON'T TOUCH IT". 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines