Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puppet resets to default pose during export

New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a puppet that I want to pose with their hands static on their hips (arms akimbo). I'm able to record that successfully with a dragger function. It plays back successfully. When I go to export as a PNG sequence, the puppet resets to a default pose of their arms angled out at their side (as recommended by OkaySamurai) and then the hands snap to hands on hip pose. This adds an odd in-between frame at the beginning of the exported PNG sequence where the hands are snapping from the arms-angled-out pose to the arms akimbo pose, as well as a few subsequent frames of the hands slowly coming to rest. See attached image for example of odd in-between frame; please note this test frame is only with movement on right arm.

I thought this issue with my puppet or rigging, but I'm running into the same issue when I use a default puppet (Chloe) in a new project.

I've spent a couple days pouring over this forum and Okay Samurai's tutorial series, but can't find anyone else running into this issue. Thank you for your time.

TOPICS
Bugs , Puppet movement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

I have this a lot with dangling hair - I often find the first second (or two if long hair) it bounces around too much. The solution I use is to set the work area via the Timeline menu. I "Set Work Area Start to Playhead" a second or so into the scene so all the physics etc have a chance to settle down. So put hands on hips at start of scene, but wait a bit before the real acting starts. When you do a media export, if defined, it will only output the work area. So if you come back, it exports th

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this a lot with dangling hair - I often find the first second (or two if long hair) it bounces around too much. The solution I use is to set the work area via the Timeline menu. I "Set Work Area Start to Playhead" a second or so into the scene so all the physics etc have a chance to settle down. So put hands on hips at start of scene, but wait a bit before the real acting starts. When you do a media export, if defined, it will only output the work area. So if you come back, it exports the correct range again (vs trimming in Prem Pro where you may have to redo the trimming each time you updated the clip).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup, this is the answer I needed.  Also, thank you for helping me look at Character Animator as a physics simulation program rather than as a breakout version of After Effects' puppet tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines