• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Q: Why do eyebrows disappear during blink?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I've created a puppet with a blink cycle, like the demo character "Dave". The blink seems to work, but the eyebrows disappear during the blink. I'd dearly appreciate any debugging help.

The project is available here.

TOPICS
Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally I suggest starting with a screenshot of the rigging hierarchy, then moving on to exporting and uploading a puppet if necessary. Exporting the whole project is the last resort (big downloads)!

My guess is you have the eyebrows inside the Eyes group so it is a sibling of the blink layer. The eyebrows should be outside the Eyes group. The blink layer hides all its siblings under the same parent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! You're correct, that was the problem.

I'm still having issues with the blink though. I discovered that putting the 'cycle layers' on both left and right blink layers screws it up. After I deleted the behavior from the left blink, both eyes blinked similarly.

Now I have a new problem. I've got it set so when I use keyboard trigger for the blink, and hold the key down, the right eye remains on the correct 'closed' layer, but the left eye holds on something else. See first screencap for the issue, 2nd for my rigging.

In the 3rd screencap I've enabled the 3rd blink layer for left and right, so you can see the desired look of a held blink.

Thanks for your input!

left and right blink hold are differentleft and right blink hold are different

Grab of Rig (blink layers)Grab of Rig (blink layers)

same art on corresponding left/right layerssame art on corresponding left/right layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It looks like "Eyelids Top" is nested inside the 3rd layer of the blink cycle. Is this on purpose? That seems unusual to me. It can be tricky to get the nesting right sometimes as drag and drop sometime nests it when you don't want it nested. You need to drag to the right, or close the groups and drag so it does not put it inside the groups. Hard to explain, but my guess is nested is not good.

I don't have any experience personally with cycle layers on eye lids. Your experiement make sense... sorry, no particular advice. I am surprised you only need one! Just check the tags on the layers as there are things like "pause" tags on layers. Basically go through every layer one by one and check them for stray tags. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines