Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about replay take with puppet position

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

So it could be just me not getting some basic concept, but here goes: I'm trying to make a "trembling in fear" animation replay and I'm doing it using the X coordinate. Thing is, while it does work, everytime I trigger the replay, the puppet won't, like, stay where it is and tremble, it will go to the middle of the screen to do so. What I want is what you get with like a waving animation, which happens to the puppet independently of its position on the scene by using a thing that is connected to im (arm in waving). I don't know what I could use to make the puppet tremble like I want except not using the X cooridnate (position). What can I do, then? Use an invisible square tha'ts part of the puppet to animate the whole puppet trembling? Or is there a simpler way?

TOPICS
How to , Puppet movement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

A replay records values and plays them back. If you record a dragger, they use the screen coordinate system. If you use position x/y or anchor point x/y it is scene coordinate system (i think one is before scaling, the other afterwards). 

If your scene and replay use the same Transform component, the replay will override the default - it does not add offsets, it replaces them.

So two ideas come to mind. If you normally use position x/y to position your character, record the replay using Anchor P

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A replay records values and plays them back. If you record a dragger, they use the screen coordinate system. If you use position x/y or anchor point x/y it is scene coordinate system (i think one is before scaling, the other afterwards). 

If your scene and replay use the same Transform component, the replay will override the default - it does not add offsets, it replaces them.

So two ideas come to mind. If you normally use position x/y to position your character, record the replay using Anchor Point X/y. They get added i think. That way the replay won't override the scene values (they are changing different properties).

The other idea is to add an addition transform behavior to the root layer inside the puppet hierarchy (On the +CharacterName layer). Record the shake on the nested transform and don't record anything else there. I did a quick test and seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Thank you! I still don't quite understand the reason for nesting the transform behavior but if it works it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transform behaviors can be applied to any layer of the tree and they transform that part of the tree relative to the parent. So you could rotate a head putting transform behavior on the head layer. It just happens that ch likes having a single root layer for the artwork, so it was easy to transform that sub-tree (which was everything) in addition to the puppet itself. In that case the transforms combine in the way you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah I see. Thanks for explaining!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines