Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Smile" and "surprised" mouth question

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
I am pretty new to Character Animator, it is a great tool and I had a nice experience in this short time. However there is something I've not figured out yet. I created my character, set up the Photoshop file with correct naming and all and  imported it into Character Animator. The mouth shapes work quite well. But when I smile or make a surpised face at the webcam, my character does not react. For comparison I tried with some of the example puppets and there was no problem. I couldn't find any differences with the example puppet and my character. Are there special settings for these two mouthes? Is there an extra setting for face tracking, not just audio? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for answers 🙂

TOPICS
How to , Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Can you include a screenshot of the rigging hierarchy?

How I debug it is I look at the Lip Sync and Face behaviors. (Lip Sync does everything but Smile and Surprised, Face I think does the other two, driven by the webcam.) So make sure you have the Face behavior armed. The, there is a "Handles" section you can expand in the behaviors (or is it Views?). It will show the layers it bound to for all the visemes. Check to see if Smile and Surprised bound to layers correctly. The audio visemes sound l

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you include a screenshot of the rigging hierarchy?

How I debug it is I look at the Lip Sync and Face behaviors. (Lip Sync does everything but Smile and Surprised, Face I think does the other two, driven by the webcam.) So make sure you have the Face behavior armed. The, there is a "Handles" section you can expand in the behaviors (or is it Views?). It will show the layers it bound to for all the visemes. Check to see if Smile and Surprised bound to layers correctly. The audio visemes sound like they did work. If not bound, look at the tagging etc. If they are bound, make sure the web cam is on and the Face behavior is armed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
thanks so much for your answer. With your help I was able to identify the problem. It is indeed in the Face behavior. In the replacement section  of the face behavior are extra lines for smile and surprise. Unfortunately they are empty in my file and I have not the slightest idea how to add the smile and the surprised in the replacements. So I am hoping for further answers. Thanks a lot!

I add screenshots of my rigging hierarchy and the face behavior section.

face behaviorface behaviorriggingrigging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Easy fix! You need to put Smile and Surprised layers inside next to Ah, Woo etc visemes. You have them out a level. They have to be siblings of the other visemes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, thank you! That worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines