• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rest-Position (T) and Replay Triggers / How to ease from hanging arms? (video attached)

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most puppets are rigged from a T position, and I read here in the forum that this leads to smoother arm movements - so I did that as well. So the rest position for my character is the T and this cannot be changed (other threads here in the forum about this already). Here is my issue (short video attached, which demonstrates it):

I would like to record replay triggers, for example a double thumbs up from a natural hanging arms position. So I record frame (1) arms hanging and frame (2) arms raised to chest with thumbs up.  I extend the thumbs up frame to use the handles and ease in - but CH does not ease in from the previous frame but from the rest position, which is the T - so I can't use the handles and would have to record everything frame by frame, which takes time and is difficult due to a lack of onion skinning in CH.

Is there any way to use the handles and override the T position? 

A 'Define/Change Rest Position' feature would make me very happy - as the T shape is getting really annoying. Is rigging from a hanging arms position (and accepting a lower quality arm animation) really the only option?

TOPICS
Feature requests , How to , Puppet movement , Rigging , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Hmmm - I haven't made a T-pose character in a while so I'm not sure how it changes things, but the way I make characters like Sirr and Willy on okaysamurai.com/puppets is to give them a bunch of blended arm poses and set one as the default. If you try one of those characters and go through all their poses, you shouldn't ever see their default A-pose — it should just jump from one pose directly to the next. I hope checking out those characters helps with your situation a little?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm - I haven't made a T-pose character in a while so I'm not sure how it changes things, but the way I make characters like Sirr and Willy on okaysamurai.com/puppets is to give them a bunch of blended arm poses and set one as the default. If you try one of those characters and go through all their poses, you shouldn't ever see their default A-pose — it should just jump from one pose directly to the next. I hope checking out those characters helps with your situation a little?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, what I have also found out is that I can overlap two poses and blend them 'into each other', which resolves the issue of the T-position showing up in between.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines