• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reverse/mirror puppet

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a few character puppets, and their bodies all are three-quarters views facing to the right. If I want two of the puppets to "face" each other, how can I make one of the two puppets turn around... I want the puppet body to "reverse" or "mirror" itself, the opposite way of the way I originally created it? In this way the two puppets' bodies will face each other...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

One way I've found that works is to use the scale x function in the transform behavior. For instance, I did some twins scenes by dragging in two instances of the same puppet, scale x -100 on one of them, and animate each one separately. Using the *.puppet feature they can even be rigged differently in the puppet panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way I've found that works is to use the scale x function in the transform behavior. For instance, I did some twins scenes by dragging in two instances of the same puppet, scale x -100 on one of them, and animate each one separately. Using the *.puppet feature they can even be rigged differently in the puppet panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example

Horse twins.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heads up on using this method. If you have eye-tracking, it'll be backwards whether you're using the camera to track, the keyboard, or the mouse.  So, be aware you'll have to do all the eye tracking in the "wrong" direction, either before or after you mirror the character.

Also, if you're character has any identifying features on one side (sword on his left hip or pocket-watch on his breast pocket) that'll be wrong, too.

One of the major things I want to propose to Adobe is a method to mirror rigs.  Currently, I create all the layers in PS, then duplicate and mirror them, then I have a script this renames the layers from "Right" to "Left" and "Left" to "Right".   That way, the left arm becomes the right arm (or eye or leg or whatever) instead of the left arm being on the right side of the character after the mirror process.

But, even then, you still have to manually re-rig both sides.  Seems to make sense to have a more automagic function for that.

-Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like that would be a pretty simple feature to add, and it would be very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and it only works some of the time. It is very frustrating. I have a rig of a very detailed character and when I try to flip it using the Transform properties, it just disappears. Pleasse someone help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that the mirrored puppet is simply off-stage. Unfortunately, it's not very easy to check for that. You could make a duplicate puppet and mirror the original art - you'd lose the rigging, but at least it would still be visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark the layer group of the entire puppet with a crown mark.
That way, the puppet will not disappear even if you set the scale x to -100%.

If you do not check the crown mark, it will disappear, probably because the entire stage rotates with it.

Explanation in Japanese

https://youtu.be/quwuilEcBnQ

Please try it.

mark_crown.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are my Hero

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines