Rigged Puppetarms seems to ignore Bones when in Swap Set Trigger set up

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Hi Hello, 

 

Im running into a problem with rigging the right arm of this puppet

I want him to be able to raise his arm and show the victory sign. 

we tried to achieve this by drawing a seperate right an in illustrator that already has the right elbow bend

and hand attached to it and individually they work great. 

 

BUT as soon as i group the two right arms and put them into a swap set to trigger the swapping arms the arm turns into complete rubber and it seems character animator ignores all the bones ive put into his arm. The left and the right arm are set up exactly the same as far as i am concerned but it just ignores my setup on the right arm.

(bonuspoint: yesterday the right arm worked as long as it wasnt in a group with a swap set trigger - but today when i started working on him again the right arm that used to work is complete rubber aswell...oof)

 

Help would be very much appreciated - I can provide more screenshots if you need to see anything else 

from this puppet. 

 

Thanks!

 

TOPICS
Bugs , Puppet movement

Views

187

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020
I converted Japanese to English with translation software. I have downloaded your puppet. Thank you.You did indeed put bones in each arm with a stick tool.I did some research.(1) I checked the Independence mark on the layer for each right arm.(2) I added a tag for the right shoulder directly in the same place as the origin point. And I made some adjustments.Please check it out.Did I help you? https://youtu.be/ShKsvxzCu1khttps://www.dropbox.com/s/o0u4os9mptviw0s/edit_201218_CharacterFace01_Paul_Rig.puppet?dl=0

Likes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used translation software to turn Japanese into English.

When I look at the layered image you attached I can see multiple right arm layers.
Maybe you didn't put bones in some of the right arms with the stick tool?

Can you please give me more information?
Or if you can, please upload your puppet to dropbox or something.
I might be able to figure out the cause of the problem better if I actually see the puppet.

Here is an explanation video and sample puppet I made in Japanese.
https://youtu.be/I_U9biHu6H8
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyxfy8wf04ttgrl/Stick_Arm_sample.puppet?dl=0

no_bone.jpeg

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

thank you already for your time and even taking the time to record a video! 

 

Unfortunatly that doesnt seem to be the problem 😕 I kept on checking every single layer for correct bone and tag structure

and couldnt find anything wrong with it - I even re-rigged the entire puppet at one point to be sure but with no success... 

 

I have uploaded my Character Animator File and the linked illustrator file (not sure but maybe there is something wrong in there to cause the error in CA). 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jw501lhik6dupn9/AAA-h4lx-CwDq8Cpf814BJFta?dl=0

 

Maybe youll find something I overlooked - thank you so much 🙂 

 

 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I converted Japanese to English with translation software.

 

I have downloaded your puppet. Thank you.

You did indeed put bones in each arm with a stick tool.

I did some research.

(1) I checked the Independence mark on the layer for each right arm.

(2) I added a tag for the right shoulder directly in the same place as the origin point.

 

And I made some adjustments.

Please check it out.

Did I help you?

 

https://youtu.be/ShKsvxzCu1k

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0u4os9mptviw0s/edit_201218_CharacterFace01_Paul_Rig.puppet?dl=0

sample_IK-Limb.jpeg

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Hi, 

 

sorry for replying so late - we where on christmas break. 

But yes you did help me an incredible amount - thank you so much!! 

 

I tried your method of tagging the origin points of each arm as the shoulder and that fixed the problem. 

I reworked an older puppet as well with this method to see if it was a reproducable solution and it is - it worked there too. 

(although im still not sure why it wouldnt work with seperate new puppet handles since thats exactly how the left arm is set-up and it does not lead to any problems there).

 

Again thank you so much - you saved me a lot of headache

 

 

 

 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines