Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Same Puppet / two different computers

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I work on my puppets/character animator on my desktop computer, but sometimes I want to work on my laptop computer. Can I link the same file (save it on OneDrive or iCloud) and use it on either computer? I want to update and work on the puppet on either computer, and switch off as needed.

Is mthis possible?

TOPICS
How to , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer: "no".

Longer answer: It is possible, but its not easy and it is error prone. You cannot save the files in something managed by onedrive for example, so you have to manually copy files to different directories, synchronize them, etc. Very finely and error prone - so I recommend against it unless really important. It can corrupt your project too easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the quick reply, I appreciate it!

I have a further question, if I purchase a new desktop computer to use, then the same issue can happen correct? Basically, I'd have to re-arm and process the puppet from the beginning againon the new desktop to get it back to how I had before the reinstall?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can move projects between machines - its just not something I would swap between them backwards and forwards. Most filenames inside a CH project are relative. Some use absolute paths if not inside the project directory (artwork files). You can fix those paths after the copy by clicking on the "path" property of the puppet.

You can also export puppets and then import them into another project. But its considered a new puppet - its a pain to copy any recordings etc from one puppet to another. So possible, just painful.

You can backup the whole directory tree and restore it on another computer. Just do you file syncing software to do that - it collides with CH and CH fails to get exclusive access to files - it can result in the project being corrupted. So only make copies when CH is not running.

So, you can move projects. Its just not low effort. Buying a new computer would be a once off thing - doable. Working mornings on desktop and afternoons on laptop would be a pain - multiple copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems best to just start over when necessary, it's not too horrible but slightly time consuming. It is what it is unfortunately, but thank you for clearing that up for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On paper, this is supposedly the sort of thing that Adobe Cloud is made for.

BUT...CH is a very finicky program that can cause headaches if you're not careful. If you must do this, keep an extra, clean file for backups. With that being said,

THE EASY: The original art files in Photoshop and Illustrator (and presumably Fresco) can be saved and no matter what device they are modified on, the saved file should go into your CH project seemlessly. I've done this without issues.

THE NOT-SO EASY: Exporting and importing puppet files should work as well, but extra steps are involved and more chances to invite the finicky nature of CH to rear its ugly head. Also, CH tends to not work well when loading from the cloud, so you'll need to be constantly uploading and downloading from the cloud. You have been warned.

THE NOT RECOMENDED: You could, in theory, save your project file on the Adobe Cloud, with the knowledge that CH does not at all work well with anything but local files. Do this at your own risk (and keep your back-ups somewhere far away).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again, I really appreciate your time and response. I will just process new puppets, that way it's a clean puppet with no issues. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines