Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scene Grayed Out

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is my first time asking a question here since I couldn't find any topics relating to this problem.

I'm was using Character Animator for the first time and when I selected the default Blank Face puppet, the scene appeared grayed out. That is to say the background is gray and the puppet isn't visible at all. I tried selecting different puppets from the Start screen and still had the same result.

Problem.jpg

I'm on a PC, using the latest version of Windows 10 Home, i7 1.80GHz processor, 16GB memory, NVidia GeForce MX150 graphics card, 256GB SSD storage. I hope this is enough information. I hope someone can figure out what's wrong, I'd really like to start using Character Animator.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Curious if you also have an Intel graphics processor in your machine. If so, if you right-click the Character Animator.exe or its shortcut, is there a "Run with graphics processor" submenu? If so, if you change this setting, does it make a difference? (See this other thread for a somewhat similar issue: Re: Preview in Rig won't show up  )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. Looks like a GPU/OpenGL problem. Do AE/PPro/PS work on this machine? Is your GPU driver up to date? Looks like a new one was posted a couple weeks ago: NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop works but not Premiere or After Effects. I tried updating the driver and restarting but still no change when I started up Character Animator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the symptoms in AE & PPro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're the same. The program starts and after I've set up my project, the screen loads to grey, just like with Character Animator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're trying to get our hands on this particular video card so we can diagnose. In the meantime, do you have info on any other GPU-using apps working/not working on that machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign work fine. I'm able to run games and such, it's just After Effects, Premiere and Character Animator that aren't working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the info. We're ordering a laptop with this GPU so we can fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try creating a new user account on the machine and running AE/PPro/Ch from there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious if you also have an Intel graphics processor in your machine. If so, if you right-click the Character Animator.exe or its shortcut, is there a "Run with graphics processor" submenu? If so, if you change this setting, does it make a difference? (See this other thread for a somewhat similar issue: Re: Preview in Rig won't show up  )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just switched Character Animator, Premiere and After Effects to use the Intel card and they work now. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a follow-up here. We couldn't repro this issue on our in-house GeForce MX150 card. Character Animator and Premiere Pro launched without any issue.

If you want to try running with the graphics processor set to the GeForce discrete graphics, things that would be helpful to know:

-- model of the computer

-- OS version

-- type of integrated graphics (which you should be able to find in the Intel graphics settings/control panel)

-- 3d settings for preferred graphics processing in the NVIDIA control panel

-- specific NVIDIA driver version (look in the NVIDIA control panel.... e.g., 388.59 or a version number like that)

Another thing to check in Premiere is to open its Console panel (press Ctrl+F12), then type the following in it:

gpusniffer

to report what supported GPU devices are available.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines