• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting up a character

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently working on a character (specifically a cat) and curious if there is a better way to set up characters in general. Mainly for the legs/arms, is it better to have separate layers (one for the foot, one for the shin, and and one for the thigh) nested within a general layer (ex. leg, arm) or is it better to have them combined (ex one shape)? Or maybe even just grouped?

Right now I have them in the same folder but different layers, which seems to get a bit messy when trying to add handles but maybe I am just not doing it right.

Secondly, any tips on rigging animals for walking? I linked the handles based on actual anatomy and the results are a bit horrific hahaha

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No experience making animals walk etc - does sound like a challenge to make natural looking!

Regarding layers, I use separate layers to make it easier to edit sometimes. But the first question I would be asking is how are the leg segments going to connect. Do you want hinging joints rather than flexing joints? If so, you MUST use separate layers, with the layers nested inside the thing they are going to attach to. (Foot inside lower leg segment, lower leg inside upper leg segment, upper leg inside body, etc.). Otherwise you cannot connect them together if you make them independent. So I sometimes nest that way even if not independent so I can change it later without having to restructure the puppet (Which loses all the rigging)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current Walk behavior and its presets do not really apply well to quadrupeds.

It's a popular request, actually: Support rigs for quadrupods, birds, snakes, fish and things with more than four legs. – Adobe video ...

I have seen results that weren't completely horrific, but they involved some fairly unnatural trickery that I wouldn't really recommend trying to recreate.

DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it will depend in part on what you plan to do with the legs and arms.

In the Evans robot which has a walking cycle the leg and foot is a single layer.
The arms though are multi-layered with the arm and hand being separate because there are different parts you can have as the hand.

As far as the quadrupods thing goes, yes still waiting for that to be a feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines