Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

STICKY character breaks

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When I try to add a logo to Sticky's shirt, the character breaks and adds a secondary body and the unwrapped hair in the background. Then, when I revert back to the character, it does not go back even when I do a refresh of the character or restart Character Animator.

Any ideas?

I love how far this program has come!

Thank you,

CJ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots might help. And a screenshot of the rig hierarchy. I am guessing you changed the puppet structure while editing which CH relies on. If you change the structure too much rigging and triggers etc can get disconnected.

but just a guess!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I didn't actually change the structure of the file at all. In fact, I hit UNDO until it was back to the original structure.

Cheers,

CJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sorry, Sticky was created in an unusual way (some shared parts that are recombined creatively) that confuses the normal artwork reconciliation mechanism a bit. I'll ask if we have some notes on what further edits are required to fix it.

DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm partially responsible for Sticky's structure. We're definitely looking into simplifying how it's setup, but may need a feature request or two to make it work much better. I was actually planning on a tutorial video showing how to customize Sticky since I like her so much.

It's very confusing, but after making an edit in Photoshop, you'll see that a bunch of stuff shows up in CH that wasn't there before. We're bringing back some layers that were previously deleted because they're used in other parts of the puppet vs. their location in the original PSD file.

So, after making a change in PS, just delete the files that are selected in the attached screenshot and you'll keep your Photoshop edits, but lose the extra stuff.

i.e., the only groups in the Puppet panel should be:
Stick Person
     Left Profile

Frontal

Right Profile

You can happily these from the Puppet panel(not Photoshop):

The Head

torso

Facial HairHair_Back

---

You've motivated me to make the tutorial video though, so I'll make sure to get that out before I leave for the holidays.

Cheers,

Dan Ramirez

CH QA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm chiming in to say please, please do a video showing how to customize Sticky!  I love everything about Sticky and have already started trying to tinker with the original files - a bit harder for me since I really only know how to use AI, but I'm figuring it out.  Such a simple looking puppet at first sight, but it only takes a minute of seeing her in action to see how sophisticated she is .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

Thank you so much for replying.

Sticky is a fantastic character and I plan on using the heck out of her.

I’m looking forward to the tutorial.

Happy holidays!

Cheers,

CJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dan, thanks a lot for the answer, as I do have a similar issue and it is for a really big Client...

I want to add my own layers to the PSD file. So lets say, I dont want to paint on the "Shirt" layer but bring in my own created layer that I want to use for the Shirt.

How can I do that? when I bring in a layer in the same structure and also Name it "Shirt" it won't Show up in Character animator.

Is there a way to do that?

in my case I have taken Pictures of a jacket and a trouser and want to bring it in as "Shirt" "arms" and "legs" how can I accomplish that??

Many many thanks in Advance!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're willing to post your character on the forum, please start a new thread and I can help you there. If not, PM me and I can help you over email.

Thanks,

Dan Ramirez

CH QA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, the way Ch seems to handle shareables makes it so that extra layers added into a shared group won't show up.  In this case, "Torso" is shared.  If you create extra layers anywhere inside that group (or nested groups), they won't show up in Ch.

A workaround for this is to merge down to an existing layer.  So, for example, if you create a custom shirt layer above "shirt", then merge that down to "shirt", it'll show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you could even clear all the artwork from the original "shirt" layer, as long as the layer still exists.  Then merge your new artwork down into the empty "shirt" layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dan,

Have you created the video tutorial for Sticky yet? I'd be more than happy to see it! I love sticky but the process of customizing her with PS is really difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mr Dan! You've mentioned the "screenshot" attached but id doesn't show up,

Would you be so keen to upload it so as to show the layers to delete. 

Thank you so much in advance 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It takes me some time, but I have found the 4 layers added when you edit Sticky in Photoshop, which should be deleted in Character Animator after the Puppet update.

Check it in the screenshot.

I hope it could be helpful still for someone.

Greetings

FranLayers added when you edit Sticky, which should be deleted in Character Animator.Layers added when you edit Sticky, which should be deleted in Character Animator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It takes me some time, but I have found the 4 layers added when you edit Sticky in Photoshop, which should be deleted in Character Animator after the Puppet update.

Check it in the screenshot.

I hope it could be helpful still for someone.

Greetings

FranSticky to delete.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is helpful, but you also lose your changes. Because there is no left/right head profile when you edit original in PS. Then it appears back in Ch. has anyone found a workaround for this? So stressful 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines