The bend in my puppet's elbow looks like a problem

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello !
The bend in my puppet's elbow looks like a problem. I looked f2021-10-27_15h36_211.pngor an answer on the net but I couldn't find anything

TOPICS
Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That one can be hard to get right. Sometimes you can get lucky shortening the sticks in the arms.

The problem is the artwork for the forearm and upper arm are in the same layer, so have the same priority. So it does not know what to draw in front and what to draw behind (and it ends up a mess sometimes).

The most effective solution I have seen is to chop the arm artwork in half near the elbow (maybe have it overlap a bit). (I would keep the original artwork around until you get it right!) Then put the forearm group/layer in front of the upper arms. Because you explicitly put the forearm artwork in front of the upper arm artwork, it knows what should be in front of what. Don't make either layer independent, just chop it into two groups/layers so it knows what should be in front. It can take some experimentation to get the right place to chop it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's some tips for slicing up the arm. Include a little overlap - a half circle should do - on both pieces. Also, change the arm joint settings from "weld" to "hinge." This will allow the pieces to behave like an actual paper puppet.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think attach to will only be relevant if the forearm is made independent. I am not suggesting that in this case. By slicing the artwork into two groups it overcomes that weird peek through effect of the outline at the elbow. It will act exactly as before, bending like before, but the upper arm outline with the weird loop at the elbow should be behind the forearm artwork so you cannot see it.

the cut point is going to depend on the psi toon of the sticks, so play with them first, then fiddle with the artwork.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry. reading too fast as usual.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines