• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The limbs don't bend correctly / don't have their full range of movement.

Explorer ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my team are building a puppet that has multiple views (Front, Left and Right for the Walk behaviour) and an extra rig pose that isn't tied to one of the puppet views but has the character in a kneeling pose, which will set to a trigger.

We're having an issue where when we test the camera body tracking and raise our arm all the way up, for example, the arm's maximum movement would hit at elbow level or where it becomes horizontal. Similarly with the legs, when we lift our foot in the camera, the puppet's foot will barely lift off the ground and only slightly bend.

Unfortunately these puppets are being made for a client so I can't share screenshots of the puppet itself or the Ch file, but here's some screenshots at least of the layer structure and our Limb IK settings. 

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Really appreciate any help, thank you!

TOPICS
Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

The arm range-of-motion issue ended up being very easy to solve.

Your puppet's Body Behavior strength was set to 80%. You need to increase this.

Here is a GIF (full-res video in the attachment) simulating the issue and the solution with Hopscotch, for those who stumble into the same issue in the future: 

arm_range_of_motion_AdobeExpress.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for posting with as much information as you can provide. The only thing I can tell from the screenshots is having multiple Limb IKs can work, but is tricky. The problem sounds like the body behavior struggling to find the intended positioning because it is finding body tags at anatomically-incorrect locations.

Would you be OK DMing me the link to your puppet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply. I've just replied to your DM! We're suspecting our issues lie in head / body tags and indepedence layers.. but not really sure where we should be looking. Appreciate your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The arm range-of-motion issue ended up being very easy to solve.

Your puppet's Body Behavior strength was set to 80%. You need to increase this.

Here is a GIF (full-res video in the attachment) simulating the issue and the solution with Hopscotch, for those who stumble into the same issue in the future: 

arm_range_of_motion_AdobeExpress.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines