• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This most probably a very simple answer

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to this is most probably very simple but when I draw a character in Illustrator and try and reduce the number of sub-layer the best I can do is as below:

Taking the left eye brow, as an example, I have the main layer and a secondary layer thereafter. But if you look at the 'Blank Face AI' that comes with the Character Animator program program they have each feature of the face to a single layer as shown below. I am sure this is a simple fix to copy but can someone tell how they simplify the Illustrator drawing like this so I can emulate it. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, I might understand the question, but I think you want to reduce the number of layers by eliminating sublayers? I would drag the sublayer up a level (just grab it with mouse and drag it over the layer above). Then delete the layer that now has no children and rename the layer you dragged up higher to correct name.

There might be a better way, but that is what I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the Blank face AI that comes with the Character Animator program each feature is only one layer there are not sub-layers like mine. The eyebrow take two layers as do a number of the other features but each feature of the Blank face, eye brow, eye, pupil just take one layer. Dragging the sub-layers up into the main doesn't work unfortunately and I have tried all the different functions without success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain what is happening when you try to drag the sub-layers out and drop them as their own layer?
I would have given the same explanation as alank on this one, so it might help to know what's happening when you try to drag them out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exaggerate this a little bit but if you below, Left Eyebrow has a secondary layer 'path' Lefteye has two compound paths below it as LeftPupil that has three sub-layers that do not push back into the main layer or master layer. If you review the  BlankFace.AI template (comes with Character Animator) it seems possible to draw the Left and Right eyebrow without a compound layer underneath the main layer and I do not understand how they did that? All the components of the left eye are single layers were as I seem to get a master layer with two compound layers underneath for each component of the eye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you really want that path moved you should be able to select and drag it just above the layer it is in to move it to match the way the Blank Face structure looks.

Consider a benefit to having it in a folder though, if you look at the structure of the Chloe character you can see that you can have multiple eyebrows available.

I would leave it in that folder as it gives you more scope to create additional features for your character.

Going back to your original post, if you are not actually able to manipulate the layer structure and move that layer to it's own space within the Illustrator file that's another issue and needs to be looked into futher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is just extra sublayers you can probably ignore it. If you really want to do it you could try the illustrator user guide or forums. Or i can try and do some screenshots. I drag things around frequently, so it is possible, but might need better instructions than a few words.

I did a google search and found the following which might help. There are probably lots of youtube videos around too if you hunt. How to use layers in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines