Trouble with Alternate Mouths in Swap Set

Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Character Animator Version 2.1.1 in Windows 10. I have a puppet that has two alternate mouth sets (Angry and Sad). My original mouth set has a default of Neutral. I want to be able to switch from Neutral to Happy (Smile), to Angry, to Sad. I also have four eyebrow sets, one for each mouth state.

The problem is that when I'm in Record view and switch to Angry or Sad, the Angry or Sad mouth shows up on top of the Neutral mouth. The eyebrows switch fine, its just the mouth that's the problem.

Here is a screen shot of my puppet in Rig view with the Neutral expression.

Puppet 02.jpg

Here is a shot of the Sad Expression showing the three mouth sets.

Puppet 03.jpg

Here is what Sad looks like in Record view

puppet 01.jpg

Here is a shot of the swap set

Puppet 04.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way that has worked reliably for me is never to mix your mouths with the visemes. Instead, have a swap set with Angry, Sad, etc (non standard expressions), then the default for the swap set is Mouth holding all the visemes (including Surprised and Smile, two built in expression visemes). So you display the normal expression by default, you can add a trigger key to the Smile and Surprised, but the Angry trigger causes the Mouth to disappear because of the swapset.

E.g.

- Gob Swap Set (I avoid “Mouth” to avoid auto-tagging)

- - Angry

- - Shocked

- - Hysterical

- - Mouth (default for swapset)

- - - Neutral

- - - Smile (can put trigger on it)

- - - Ah

Mouth is not a swapset - it is controlled by a behavior that does not understand triggers. So basically use a swapset to make the mouth behavior go away when you pick your custom expressions.

If you want complete sets of mouth expressions for Angry Ah, Angry Smile, etc, then I wrap that whole tree in another layer of swap sets.

- Gob Expressions Swapset

- - Gob Neutral Swapset

- - - Angry

- - - Shocked

- - - Mouth

- - - - Ah

- - Gob Clown Face Swapset

- - - Angry

- - - Shocked

- - - Mouth

- - - - Ah

You then use one trigger for the overall expression (top level swap set) and separate trigger for Angry/Shocked/etc. which you bind to Angry etc under each of the top level swapset layers.... But I don’t think you need that....

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That helped.

Thanks! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines