trying to connect a puppet without a body or neck

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see from the image I am animating a strawberry on legs playing a guitar.

I am so close to having this puppet ready to do what I want it to. 

I can move the strawberry itself through my head movements, but it is not linked in any way to the legs, and floats around on its own.

I have attached an image of the character animator rig and of the AI layout, and I really hope you guys can help me link the legs to the head on this puppet.

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might check the Head Position Strength of the Face behavior - set it to zero and see if that helps.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that helped a lot! I can keep the strawberry from flying off the legs and it can bob up and down, thanks!

I would love to have the legs bend like in the IK demos (I have them rigged up etc) but it dosen;t seem like they are going to connect.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Because the artwork overlaps and is not marked as independent (the leading "+" character like for the eyes etc), the artwork for the legs is all glued together with the body etc. E.g. the guitar and left and right leg are all part of the one "mesh". So they cannot move independently.

If you just want the legs to stay together but flex at knee joint, you might get away with tagging just one leg (it does not care that the artwork looks like two). You would do things like put a pin on the feet, put a dragger on the torso, delete the sticks for the second leg (keep the sticks etc near the center of the two legs). To make it bob up and down, use the dragger on the torso. The Limb IK behavior should be able to be used to make sure the legs bend the right way, but if you put the sticks on a slight angle (knees forward) like you have already, then you might not need it. It is needed for arms as you may drag the hands all over the place - in your case you would only drag the torso up and down, so it might "just work" without Limb IK. You might need a stick along the bottom of the guitar however to stop it bending.

You can go further and make more things independent, but it also causes problems keeping things aligned (as the layers are "independent" they move more freely, so are harder to line up). So if you just want to bob up and down, I would try to just use sticks to control where to bend and not make things independent.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines