• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to organize in my project to make a working file lighter

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just lost a quite bit of work last night. 
This program is still new to me, and I don't normally work on Photoshop either.
So I'm not sure if what I was doing was stressing my computre or not.
I couldn't find much about people talking about organizing in a project on Character Animator.

I use iMac 2019 model with 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB memory, 2GB Graphics.
I'm not really familier with those specs, and what each number means to working on Character Animator and Photoshop.

oh, and before I lost my data, I got warning message saying I need to upgrade graphics card.

Anyhow, my questions are:
How many puppets should I have in a scene? 
(Current project I'm working on has 4 puppets, including midground and background images as puppets)

How many scenes should I have in a project?
(Currently I only have one project, and I have total 4 scenes, 7 puppets, and about a dozen of SFX)
I was wondering if I separate projects, it would make the working files lighter.

How many layers in a .psd file for a puppet are okay to have? 
(I have a quite bit of layers in order to make my puppets do poses and short movement for cycle layers on top of lip sync, blink and all)

Is it bad that I ran out of keys to assign for triggers?

Is it bad to have too many behaviors??
(I started using breath behaviors a lot, so have smooth subtle movement in a part of background and middle ground, and each swaped characters)

I always wonder if my puppets are too complex.. In tutorial videos, I don't see all the specs on a puppet since there are folders usually closed.
Thank you for reading a long post!

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting questions - hopefully a few different people jump on with their experiences. I am sure it is different for different people.

• How did you lose the work? Through a crash? Project would not open? Etc. There might be ways to protect against a repeat occurrence. Warning about graphics card not being supported is pretty weird!! Sometimes corrupted project files have been recovered by helpful Adobe staff - depends on the problem.
  • How many puppets in a scene? I would base this on what your scene needs. I have seen some people with many puppets (e.g. 20) - but know it slows down a lot with puppet complexity. I generally only have a few (plus background which is static). But its driven by my needs of the scene, not CH limits.
  • How many scenes in a project? My hobby project was creating 5 to 10 minute videos. I created one project per video (I did not put 5 videos in the same project). It just felt logical, and I do suspect project will get at least a bit slower as the number of scenes increases. I suspect the number of puppets in a scene and the complexity of puppets has a bigger impact on performance. I guess I went with one video per project as well to guarantee the same puppet was used in all scenes, but limit the loss if anything did go wrong.
  • How many scenes per project? My 10 minute video style had a new scene every 10 seconds or so - so I had lots of short scenes. For my video I was changing the camera angle a lot, starting a new scene each time. Others I know may have the one scene lasting one or more minutes. I found short scenes helpful though - I render each one to a video file separately, then join using Prem Pro. Separate short scenes meant I could re-render individual scenes to make changes faster (no need to re-render long scenes or the whole video). But I would think changes of location or camera angle are what will drive the start of a new scene.
  • How many layers in a PSD file? The PSD file complexity does make a difference to performance. You need a certain number of them due to the layers having to align with the CH puppet rigging structure. I do have many more layers because my artwork was created with Adobe Draw (on ipad) and it created separate layers for every pen stroke. I merged some, but I think CH automaticallly merges them itself. I *suspect* it is the number of *meshes* (independent layers) that makes more difference, but never tested it. My puppet with all the strokes had hundreds (maybe thousands) of layers as a result. I often merged layers plus reduced the number of points in a shape to improve performance due to Draw no doing it for me.
  • Running out of keys for triggers - it depends. It does indicate a complex puppet, but it depends - do you have 5 triggers you always use together? If so, I would consider merging them into one trigger (a trigger can have multiple layers). It does seem a lot, which could impact performance a bit. I think it may be the number of layers (not number of visible layers) that impacts performance.
  • Compare your puppet maybe to the sample puppets to see if more complex?
  • Do more behaviors reduce performance? Depends on the behaviors I think. Gravity and dangles I am sure have more impact than cycle layers for example. There is just more CPU required. You can delete behaviors you don't need.

For me, since I used Adobe Illustrator with Adobe Draw, I did spend some time "simplifying" puppet artwork. Draw might have put one hundred points along an hand drawn line segment - simplification could reduce that tenfold in many cases. Also merging separate layers of the same color etc also reduced layers. But I never really knew if it improved performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!
I should have said that my puppets are originally made on a paper (watercolor illustration) and scanned into Photoshop.
Also, I use this for live performance (streaming on Twitch.)

I'm not really good with computer, so I'm not sure what caused to lose data.
I was checking history to go back a few steps, and boom! one of my folders and some puppets are gone.
I checked back history again, and looked like it went back to a few days ago.
and I couldn't find any recovering file maybe since the program wasn't really force quit.
Also.. I really shoudn't have relaid on auto save.. yea.. I guess I had to learn this in a painful way.

But thank you so much for all the tips!
I will check if I can merge some layers together on .psd files and go over behaviors as well!
And I will separate the project into two to see if it makes it any better! (it was getting confusing to have all the puppets and sounds even with folders anyways)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines