• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viseme order when importing/pasting into After Effects

Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Referring to this page, step #2 says to create a comp with the visemes "matching the order of visemes in Character Animator’s Visemes context menu" and gives an example of the order being Neutral, Aa, D "and so on".

The problem is that in Character Animator (current version 2.11) the viseme order in the context menu is different.Screenshot 2019-11-03 at 11.45.53 am.png

Just to complicate things, the layer order of the visemes in the default head PSD is different again.

So… which is the correct order?

The actual process of pasting in the keyframe data works fine, it's just that the visemes being displayed in After Effects don't match the ones being displayed in the original Character Animator capture, and short of endless trial and error, I don't know how to fix it.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Figured it out by just exporting a test with all visemes via keyframes and via project link and comparing. Heres what I got:

Aa = 1
D = 2
Ee = 3
F = 4
L = 5
M = 6
Oh = 7
R = 8
S = 9
Uh = 10
W-Oo = 11

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never heard of the ordering mattering. I always just make sure the right tags are on each viseme. If you look in the properties panel, look for the tags section, personally I like clicking on the letter A icon to show the text names of all the tags. There should be a group of viseme names. I would double check there is a tagged layer for each of the visemes.

But i have no experience with AE and using visemes. I was not aware that was possible! I have only ever used visemes from inside CH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The order of the layers in the PSD may not matter when brought into Character Animator, but the order of the frames in the comp definitely matters within After Effects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I'm facing the exact same issue. There is no apparent consistency and as you point out the instructions are incomplete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured it out by just exporting a test with all visemes via keyframes and via project link and comparing. Heres what I got:

Aa = 1
D = 2
Ee = 3
F = 4
L = 5
M = 6
Oh = 7
R = 8
S = 9
Uh = 10
W-Oo = 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart thinking! I'll give that a whirl tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your findings 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just had it confirmed by an Adobe engineer that it expects the visemes in alphabetical order - which is what you had correctly deduced. Supposedly the online help should have been updated with the correct info but that hasn't happened yet. I still think I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines