• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Walk behavior controls are not responding in record mode. Bug??

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this may be a bug? I have two walk cycles in my puppet (walk left and walk right). One of them works perfectly with controls functioning etc.... The second one for some reason cannot be tweaked in record mode. I have to go back to rigging mode to access the controls which means I'm setting controls blindly.

TOPICS
Bugs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the behavior not show up at all in record mode? There is an option in rig mode in the behavior "hamburger menu" - 3 lines to the right - to show/hide it as a track item behavior - maybe it accidentally got hidden?

If it does show up and doesn't work, then that definitely seems like a bug. Could you share here or DM me your .puppet file (File > Export > Puppet) via a shared link on Google Drive, Dropbox, or Creative Cloud to take a closer look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug occurs on the "Left Walk".

"Right Walk" lets me change the walk behaviors when in Record mode.

However, "Left Walk" does not respond to any changes made when in Record mode.

It may be a glitch due to my clumsy rigging but....maybe not. Below is a link to the puppet. I'm still working on it.

Adobe Creative Cloud

BTW...I'm trying to make the puppet start from a front view, then turn to a side view, and then walk. I created two turn behaviors that work one after the other (X,Z). I thing the turn works OK, but I can't figure out how to trigger the walk cycle to occurs right after the turn. Is there a way to trigger the various instances of the puppet one after the other?

Thanks!

You guy ROCK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was able to tweak left and right in record mode. If I set Right Walk to a 1 trigger and Left Walk to a 2 trigger, and set each to a different walk style using record mode parameters, I can see each working as expected.

Still, the biggest culprit behind any issues is probably be the rigging. The recommended way, like Maddie in http://adobe.com/go/chexamples, is to only have one walk behavior on your top level puppet and have the views under that.

The way I'd do a turn is complex but possible. You'd have the left and right profile views be a cycle layers turn animation, except the last frame of each would be holding on a group containing the full walking character. So when right profile is triggered, play through this 7-frame animation and then land on frame 8 as the right profile walk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thanks so much!! I will see if I can get this guy working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The way I'd do a turn is complex but possible. You'd have the left and right profile views be a cycle layers turn animation, except the last frame of each would be holding on a group containing the full walking character. So when right profile is triggered, play through this 7-frame animation and then land on frame 8 as the right profile walk."

Does this also work for the center view? So when the character turns back to "normal", it also gets that turn animation? Not possible in this way, I'm afraid? Because you can not include both turns - Right -> Center AND Left -> Center, while Center -> Left, Center -> Right obviously can…

We would need extra parameters for that, yes? Or is there another possibility I'm not seeing?

Thank you…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know for sure because I haven't tried turning like this, but there has to be a way to do it.

This is for head turning, but Dave S' lengthy explanation may help somewhat: Eyes& eyelids, reverse problems with head turns via Cycle layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thank you!!

Possibly there has been a word turn?

Quote: "

So now _both_ Frontal and Right Quarter are being triggered at the same time. The way these conflicts are resolved is by triggering the frontmost layer/group. In your artwork, Frontal is in front of Right Quarter. So it wins, you never see the returning animation.

Solution: in Illustrator (or Ch, but better to make structural changes in the original artwork) move the Frontal group in front the profile groups. That way the conflict is resolved in favor of your animated groups, and you don't miss the animation.

Shouldn't it say "…behind the profile groups"?

I'm gonna try it anyway but it seems to me to make more sense the whole paragraph like that, doesn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're right, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aaaah! Cool! Thanks for the quick reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines