Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Walking issues

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

This is my first time trying to make a puppet walk and I have "run" into some issues (pun intended). as you can see in this screen shot of him walking:

pic1.JPG

The legs aren't attached and the shoulders aren't attached. Here is what the puppet looks like in rig mode. (after taking the following picture I tried using the pin tool to further try to connect the arms and legs to the body and it didn't make a difference)

pic2.JPG

pic3.JPG

Turning the strength to 100% for walking seems to somewhat help but still it's far from a desired result. It also reveals another problem, the head starts stretching with the neck. I was atempting to follow this youttube tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv_2Upvtm-M

pic4.JPGpic5.JPG

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Here is a link to my pathetic excuse for a puppet.

https://adobe.ly/2RIu4Sw

TOPICS
How to , Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

First one is easy - the Left Shoulder and Right Shoulder tags must go on the Torso (body), not on the arms. That will connect the arms to the body.

Head and Neck normally go on different handles - the relative positions of these two matter. I often put the Neck handle between the two shoulder handles (so bottom of neck, where it meets the body).

I moved the Face layer origin down to near the chin. No idea why it is helping! But the head does not distort so badly afterwards.

Hmm, one eye was set

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First one is easy - the Left Shoulder and Right Shoulder tags must go on the Torso (body), not on the arms. That will connect the arms to the body.

Head and Neck normally go on different handles - the relative positions of these two matter. I often put the Neck handle between the two shoulder handles (so bottom of neck, where it meets the body).

I moved the Face layer origin down to near the chin. No idea why it is helping! But the head does not distort so badly afterwards.

Hmm, one eye was set to contour, the other was auto. I made them both auto.

You "Left Eye" and "Right Eye" layers have handles on them for Left Pupil and Right Pupil. Remove them.

I recommend making the Mouth independent - I don't know why, but it can make that part of the head stick in place otherwise.

Like shoulders, move the Left Hip and Right Hip from the legs to the Torso layer. That will attach the legs to the body/torso.

Move the Right Leg origin a bit higher on the body, like the Left Leg. No idea why, but it looks much better.

But this is where I got stuck. There is a mesh around one eye and not the other! The bounding box is smaller than the eye meshes! (I did not think that was possible!) I cannot get the head right but need to get back to work. Hopefully the above gets you some progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for such a detailed response. My puppet is walking great now!

I ended up keeping the head and neck on the same handle because when I separated them, the head would stay unnaturally still while walking. Thanks again for everything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines