Highlighted

Camera not working, Arms not working properly

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a few problems with one of my characters. I've mapped out his arms with the sticks, handle and dragger tool. When using the dragger, everything works out and bends in the way I'd like it to.. when I go to playback, the arm does the exact opposite by bending the around in the opposite direction, however, if I playback a few times more- one of those times it will work properly. (see screenshots below of the SAME snippet of a scene from 2 different playbacks) In another playback, both arms were completely bent the wrong way. I understand that sometimes if you start a playback in the middle of a recorded action- things can be distorted, however, this happens when I play back from the very beginning of the scene. Please Help! Why is there no consistency?? :*(

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 11.04.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-04 at 11.14.23 AM.png

Onto my camera problem- I use a Mac desktop with the built-in camera. Randomly, the camera will cut- out and stop working stating "No camera selected". I click the little camera button in the panel, but it won't select it and turn blue.

I love this program and have been working in it for about two years now, but am noticing in the past few weeks A LOT of buggyness.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Camera not working, Arms not working properly

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a few problems with one of my characters. I've mapped out his arms with the sticks, handle and dragger tool. When using the dragger, everything works out and bends in the way I'd like it to.. when I go to playback, the arm does the exact opposite by bending the around in the opposite direction, however, if I playback a few times more- one of those times it will work properly. (see screenshots below of the SAME snippet of a scene from 2 different playbacks) In another playback, both arms were completely bent the wrong way. I understand that sometimes if you start a playback in the middle of a recorded action- things can be distorted, however, this happens when I play back from the very beginning of the scene. Please Help! Why is there no consistency?? :*(

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 11.04.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-04 at 11.14.23 AM.png

Onto my camera problem- I use a Mac desktop with the built-in camera. Randomly, the camera will cut- out and stop working stating "No camera selected". I click the little camera button in the panel, but it won't select it and turn blue.

I love this program and have been working in it for about two years now, but am noticing in the past few weeks A LOT of buggyness.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 11.20.28 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with your camera!

Can you tell us a little more about your system?  Which model Mac is it?  Which version of MacOS do you have installed?

When the camera stops working in Character, are you still able to use other Mac camera apps such as Photo Booth?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the arms, the playback mode is an approximation of the final render (for speed) - so things do look different sometimes. There are a few solutions that I know of.

• In v1.5 you could put a dragger on the elbow and do a short recording of the elbow in the original position. This gives CH a hint which way to build the elbow.
  • If you draw the artwork with slightly bent arms, that encourages the arms to bend that way.
  • In v2.0 they added a new behavior called IK-ARM to step the bending and stretching. There is a “strength” property you can set to control the arm bend - you may need to recording different property values if you want the arm to sometimes bend the other direction.

The last option is the one I would recommend if using v2 (the latest release).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest release and have tried all possible solutions you've listed with no luck. I can be looking at Character Animator and see it plays back normal, however, I preview my timeline in After Effects and one arm is bending the wrong way. Is there a refresh button in AE I need to be clicking? This usually refreshes as I make changes...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have added the IK-Arm behavior, did you adjust the default settings? You may need to adjust the properties to get the arm to bend the way you want it to. If still no luck, could you include a screen shot of the puppet rigging? Especially of the arms and all the handles.

OKSamurai’s video showed the left and right arms have different values to get the arms to bend consisently.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines