Highlighted

Can 2 arms have different dragger behaviours?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to have 1 arm that when I drag it, it stays in position. The other arm, I want to reset to position after 1 sec.

If I add a dragger behavior to each arm, my mouse will move BOTH arms at the same time (and every other draggable handle in the puppet as well). Why is it that when I add multiple dragger behaviors, every draggable handle is activated no matter where I click on the puppet?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can 2 arms have different dragger behaviours?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to have 1 arm that when I drag it, it stays in position. The other arm, I want to reset to position after 1 sec.

If I add a dragger behavior to each arm, my mouse will move BOTH arms at the same time (and every other draggable handle in the puppet as well). Why is it that when I add multiple dragger behaviors, every draggable handle is activated no matter where I click on the puppet?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you show the rigging hierarchy of the puppet via a screenshot? Also how many dragger behaviors do you have? I recall one person adding a dragger per drag handle they added, then had them all recording at the same time. That causes the symptons you are describing. You only need a single dragger behavior on the whole puppet. With multiple draggers, and if they are all active, they will all think the mouse movements are for them (as each dragger behavior will pick the closest dragger handle it has, which will be the only handle it sees). By having a single dragger at the root of the puppet, it will pick a handle based on the closest one to where you clicked the mouse, which is what you Normally want.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so to do it live with one arm that stays at the new position and the other arm going back to start position, it would be best to have just one dragger behavior, and a trigger that resets (with easing) the position of the second arm.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... hypothetically would it help if the dragger behavior had an option to only grab handles within a certain distance?

Asking for a friend.

DT

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Otherwise arm and disarm the draggers before starting to drag... which sounds like a drag to do!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm extremely new to Character Animator but...

I think my situation might be similar. After recording one arms movement, I cannot see that arm moving while recording the second arm. It's pure guesswork trying to get the motions to match.

I got around this by attaching a dragger behavior directly to each arm group instead of the top level puppet group.

I then activate and record one arms movements, deactivate that arms behavior, the activate the second arms behavior.

When recording the second arm, the first arms motion plays, allowing me to see where and when I should move the second arm.

The issue with this is that the arms don't snap back to the default pose when done, instead, they drift slowly back to default, even with "hold pose" active. I also get unwanted rotations on the hands just before the take ends (unrelated perhaps).

I could swear I saw a video that briefly touched on how to attach a second dragger to the top level and use it to animate the second arm. But it was brief and I cannot find it again.

If there were a more intuitive method of attaching and removing "target handles" to behaviors it might be nice. Like creating a blank dragger and then dragging the desired "tag?" or group into it. Not sure that makes sense. Treat it like the process of creating triggers and adding items to them. As well as deleting them by clicking the X. Then if you have on trigger controlling too many items when active, delete unwanted draggers.

Maybe I'm too newb to understand a better workflow. I'm still trying to break my habit or thinking in flash keyframe animation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe it isn't as related as I originally thought

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea of two draggers is the same issue. It does allow exactly what you describe - see the old recording and make a new recording. A problem with putting on the hand is if you have the hand selected by the dragger is half way across the screen, it will still pick that hand. So you have to arm/disarm more carefully, hence Dan was wondering if there should be a range limit on dragger handles To help. The other approach is to put multiple draggers on the root of the puppet and reserve them for different purposes. That way they see all handles so the targetting picks the right one. I do this sometimes - I name the draggers to help me to remember which one to use when (e.g. I use an extra one for elbows).

The other issues of twisted hands and return to rest is a different issue. I think they improved a few cases in v2, but feel free to post a screen shot showing the problem - there may be something else to fix still. The return to rest has come up as a known issue - so they may know that one already.

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input. For some reason, iI never tried to right click draggers to rename them! Cha Ching!!!

Have a happy new year Alank!

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines