• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I stream Live from 2 separate computers that are not located in the same room?

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Seperate" meaning not in the same locatioon, wirelessly. The computers will be 50 km away from one another.

I want to be able to live stream on video, using two different puppets, using two computers.

I have been following this link to explain how to do it: https://helpx.adobe.com/au/adobe-character-animator/using/streaming.html

It seems that this set up requires the microphones to be set up using the same "audio mixer", and the same Network Switch".

Is there an alternate to this where the two computer users are not locating in the same location?

Is this possible?

Please help, thanks

TOPICS
How to , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried this myself, only over a local network. That said, I'm fairly certain it's possible, but will likely involve some ingenuity. Are you on Mac or Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

We are both using Mac computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been researching this for my work - just best way to have an online event (not CH specific). I want to interview someone on a livestream. The option I am going to go with is using OBS studio on one of the machines which then feeds the stream. The second person will then jump on a Skype call.

So your approach would be (I assume here the remote computer has a different person controlling it):

• Remote computer: Has skype installed with Ch and NDI Tools. If Mac, also has CamTwist installed (free). You get Ch to stream on that machine to NDI, then on Windows use NDI Virtual Input or on Mac use CamTwist to listen to the NDI stream out of Character Animator and turn it into a virtual camera. You get Skype to use that virtual camera as its input, instead of the default webcam etc.
  • Main computer: Has Skype installed with Ch, NDI Tools, and OBS Studio. In Skype, you turn on Settings / Calling / Advanced Calling - there is a "Allow NDI usage" setting you can turn on. You get OBS Studio and the NDI Plug-in for OBS and it can use that Skype NDI output Stream as a video source. Next, you stream from Ch via NDI and feed that stream also into OBS Studio. OBS Studio mixes the two input video streams (and any title overlays etc) and streams out to YouTube LiveStream etc.

So you use Skype to get the two locations to communicate - its just a regular Skype call. That is what I am going to try next (but without using Character Animator initially - I just want to interview a person on a live stream.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Minor update: Above "CamTwist" really means NDI Syphon to conver the NDI stream to Syphon stream, then CamTwist can read from the Syphon stream. CamTwist cannot read NDI directly.

Also I got most of the above working. For Windows make sure you install the "Skype for Creators" (aka Skype for Desktop) for Windows. The default install does not include NDI support. I am getting this "trial" word keep coming into the skype call, so some package I have must not be free (I need to work out which one - I have been trying a few things now!!)

Also my Mac (from work) cannot generate NDI streams. Not sure if there is a firewall or something blocking it (maybe work installed some extra protection software). Everything thinks its working, but nothing can see the streams.

And OBS Studio NDI plugin required an older version of a NDI dynamic library, which required a bit of extra fiddling to find and install.

It may be worth looking at something like EcammLive which I believe reduces some of this pain (but costs money).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey thanks so much for writing all this out, I';m gonig to give it a go.

Did you find there was a audio delay between yourself and the other user? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines