• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CYCLE LAYERS Eyelids? Or some sort of hack to achieve the same effect...

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

wondering if anyone has any ideas on this.

LOVE Character Animator. Am building puppets and learning a lot.

I understand squinting triggers are completely functional and I've built and used them. But with so much functionality and versatility in CA it should be possible to do what I'm looking to do here.

My character's eyes are fully functional. I would just like to get MORE CameraTracking Automation Functionality out of the character to free up focus for action triggers and performances for both quick-&-dirty animations and of course, LIVE performances. WHY click 2-5 triggers for eyes when the camera tracker should be able to handle most of it? Just my thoughts.

My character's eyes are clip-masked and rigged for CameraTrack Eyelid Expression Automation.

RIG EXAMPLE (BOTH eyes rigged, merely using one eye as example):

Left Eye

-Left Eyeball Outline

-Eyelids (This Group Clip Masked to the "Clipping Mask" layer below)

+Left Eyelid Top

+Left Eyelid Bottom

+Left Pupil

-Clipping Mask

-Left Eyeball

OBJECTIVE:

Keep functionality of the Cameratracked Eyelids but ad a dimension of expression. I'd like to have the eyelids change contour as they move. AGAIN: I know this can be done with blinks and squint triggers. I'm just hoping to find a way to apply the concept of eyelid shape shift to the cameratracked eyelids, allowing for more realistic/artistic expression of the eyelids whilst having them controlled by the CameraTrack Automation. I'm thinking cycle layers is the key of some kind to this objective but can't figure out the higherarchy. Perhaps it's not possible. If it isn't, I think it should be.

Hope someone can help and hope it generates a good discussion...

Thanks!

TOPICS
Camera , FAQ , Feature requests , How to , Rigging , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you could set up a multi-frame sequence of how the eyelids move up and down - let's say a 5-frame sequence - then add the Layer Picker behavior to them. Layer Picker has a "camera" parameter that you can set to eyelid openness, which should play back and forth through that sequence. You might have to adjust the other Layer Picker parameters to have it work exactly like you want, but yes - I'm prety sure you can do what you want!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the Layer picker Behavior and applied but nothing seems to happen.

Applied to individual eyelids and selected "Right Eyelid Openness" and "Left Eyelid Openness" respectively.

Eyelids are still + sign independent.

Or do I need to lose the eyelid independents?

Group upper and lower eyelids for the same eye together and apply Layer picker behavior to group?

I've tried both and can't seem to figure it out. a nudge in the right direction so I can experiment competently on my own would be much appreciated.

THANKS AGAIN!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I haven't done a video about this yet but this is a great rundown of how it works: https://helpx.adobe.com/au/adobe-character-animator/using/behaviors-reference.html#layer_picker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines