Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Draggable Handle Problem

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I've got a problem with getting the draggable handles working properly.

After experimenting with the default puppets, I eventually made a puppet from scratch in Ps. I couldn't get the draggables working, so rebuilt it but that was no good so eventually copied the parts across into the working puppet, Max. However, the problem persisted. It's same issue I've seen documented elsewhere - that is, the dragging the arms pulls the body with it.

I've read all the relevant forum queries and viewed the relevant videos in detail. I've tried all manner of combinations with no success. You name it. I've done it. As I said, I finally copied the Ps parts into a working puppet thinking that would fix things, but not so. I've spent too many hours on this.

Can any one help?

Cheers,

Matthew.

Photoshop CC (2017)

After Effects CC (2017)

Chacter Animator CC (Beta)

Windows 7 SP1, 64 bit

ASUS G73Jh, i7 1.60 GHz

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screenshot:

DraggleProblem.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue is that your girl has a wider body + backpack than Max. Also, the Max tutorial was done before stapling was added, so that's probably a better way to go. I would:

1. Make your left and right arms independent (add a + in front of them in the PSD).

2. Select and staple them at the shoulder sockets in CH.

3. Add your draggables and sticks on the arms groups instead of the body.

See:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I tried that approach. I went through it thoroughly.

Nonetheless, I gave it another go, seeing as you made the recommendation. I also removed the backpack from the body imagery layer (as per your query), then - in addition - removed the pony tail.

Here's what happens (with backpack; minus backpack; and minus backpack and minus pony tail): The arms become detachable as if on elastic bands. So, you can move them, but they detach. Then when you release them, the spring back into position on the body. Please see screen shot below.

DraggleProblem02.jpg

Cheers,

Matthew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just throwing stuff at the wall, hoping something might help .... but maybe try looking at your puppet's mesh and see if your parts are tightly fitted.  That might do it.

Good luck !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Mesh seems all good. See below.

DraggleProblem03.jpg

The attach style was Weld. I tried all three. No change. Still doing the elastic band thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm so the arm is still flying off when you drag it? Everything looks pretty good at first glance, no major red flags...

It's hard to tell but it looks like you have the elbow handle as draggable - do you also have the hand handle set to draggable too? Usually I would expected to see little microscopic yellow "Draggable" text under it if so.

I wonder if somewhere there's a mix of the old way (Max) of doing things vs. the new (Wilk / green monster guy).

Could you share here or DM me your .puppet file (File > Export > Puppet) via a shared link on Google Drive, Dropbox, or Creative Cloud to take a closer look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

There's sub-level to each arm. I was just experimenting with assigning the draggable parts. Not making he elbows as such draggable. Either way, doesn't change things.

I was wondering whether there was the mix-of-puppets problem, too, but experimented with all imaginable alternatives. This was an issue with the prior model when setting the arms in their current state, too.

I went though the model in Ps yesterday trying to find any redundant imagery using the selection wand tool, but I couldn't find anything.

I've DMed you the model.

Cheers,

Matthew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dave.

Thanks for having a look at the puppet.

Just to finish off this thread.

You said the main issue was that I had the draggables and sticks on the body instead of the individual arms.

I checked that against your edit of the puppet. Thanks for that.

After some more comparison, I think the key issue was actually that I was using the Handle Tool rather than the Draggable Tool. Not sure if I miss-read some instruction earlier or misinterpreted things in the transfer between incorporating structural aspects in Ps and doing all structural aspects in Ch, but my understanding was that the Handel Tool was what I should use.

I was also misinterpreting your use of the term 'draggable' as the draggable modifier.

So, if I used the Handel Tool and then add the Draggable Modifier (in the right hand Tags panel), the arm would suffer from the rubber band problem.

So, problem solved.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Matthew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select the arm and look under Layer in the right properties, my guess is attach style has been set to Free. Try Weld or Hinge instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines