Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eye Blink Cycle Layers Help

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

I'm having trouble with the cycle layers for an eye blink. 

I believe I have everything set up right but the blinks are not coming in correctly.

They look like the cancel out the eye. or the full blink happens and the frames of the blink happen on top it.

oksamurai​ Any help would be great! Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 2.43.27 PM.png

My Set up

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 2.30.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-17 at 2.30.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-17 at 2.30.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 2.45.54 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Well I guess this is how it always goes, you start asking the question to a person and then you get it to work while they are looking over your files.

I tried one more method and got it for the blinks to work right.

It seemed like adding a new layer in AI made the blink work right. 

Added a "Shut" layer and put the "Left Blink" layer with the 4 frames and it worked.

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 3.04.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 3.04.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I guess this is how it always goes, you start asking the question to a person and then you get it to work while they are looking over your files.

I tried one more method and got it for the blinks to work right.

It seemed like adding a new layer in AI made the blink work right. 

Added a "Shut" layer and put the "Left Blink" layer with the 4 frames and it worked.

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 3.04.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 3.04.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you figured it out! Blinks are weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my post.  Your videos have been super helpful! Its great to have someone like you sharing videos that is actually working on the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Blinks work by hiding the siblings and displaying the blink layer instead. It assumed it did not need the masks etc. But pushing down into a nested layer, the blink does not hide anything any more (it has no siblings). Because you want all the eyes as per normal (with masks etc), you did not want anything hidden - you just put the blink on top of everything else (higher on the page) so it appeared over the top of the normal eyelids.

In case useful, this is my write up on eyes. You are doing it differently and there is nothing wrong with what you are doing. Just including in case it helps explain anything better. https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/04/21/debugging-character-animator-eyess/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the helpful tips and the link of your write up on the eyes for character animate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the insight, Alan. I used your page linked above, plus example puppets Bridezilla from Digital Puppets and Bunnie from Emily Watts to figure out my own blinks issue. The keyboard-triggered blinks worked fine but not the camera-triggered ones. I could have set the Eyelid Strength to 0 and be done with it but decided to get into the weeds and fix it. All I needed to do was put my Default Lids below every other instance of lids.

Near the top of your page, Alan, you mention the different way layers and groups are thought of in CH, AI and PS, and I think that's true. In Photoshop, I basically think of layers in terms of adding art on top of art and for organizational purposes. Character Animator adds a flowchart of functionality to the mix--my eye blink issue above, for example. Or head turn views needing to be in a certain order to work. I think that's a real mental adjustment even people with experience in other Adobe software have to make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines