• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File sizes/resolution suggestions?

Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm creating a 30 ish minute video, about 1/2 of which will have a puppet narrating a script. The video will eventually be disseminated likely through youtube or some similar easy access source. The puppet is created in photoshop, I'll animate through CH, add background details through Animate, and stitch things together at the end in Premier pro. Following the how to create your first cartoon tutorial, I created different scale versions of my puppet. However, as noted in the video, my puppet's resolution wasn't high enough and at final export it looked too pixelated. This was only a 40 second test project to work out the kinks so I'm starting from scratch and want to do a better job deciding file size/resolution.  I am wondering if you have a suggestion of settings given my project intention (30 minute total, 15 minutes of puppet in small chunks, interest in having puppet scaled in and out) for each of the different programs to balance resolution quality with file size?

Specifically

1. Photoshop puppet size

2. Settings in Ch

3. Settings in Animate

4. Settings in Media Encoder (are you using an AVI format for your youtube videos?)

5. Settings in Premier Pro.

Many thanks!

M

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

I usually still do 1280x720 videos (h264 mp4 exported from AME, I usually use the default YouTube setting there or just the match source defaults), so typically a 2k x 2k PSD works for whatever closeup I'd want for a character - I'll at least start there and scale down later if I have to. If you're doing 1920x1080 then I'd imagine 3k x 3k might be okay (depending on how close up you want to get). So for me:

1. PSD is 2000 x 2000

2. CH is 24fps and a scene big enough to contain my whole character w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies. In the email above I wrote that i would be using Adobe Animate but I should have written instead After Effects. I'm using Audtion, Character Animator, After Effects, and the Premier Pro.

Thanks for you help

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually still do 1280x720 videos (h264 mp4 exported from AME, I usually use the default YouTube setting there or just the match source defaults), so typically a 2k x 2k PSD works for whatever closeup I'd want for a character - I'll at least start there and scale down later if I have to. If you're doing 1920x1080 then I'd imagine 3k x 3k might be okay (depending on how close up you want to get). So for me:

1. PSD is 2000 x 2000

2. CH is 24fps and a scene big enough to contain my whole character without clipping

3. AE, PR & AME are 1280 x 720 at 24 fps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And again--super helpful. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do u scale down without breaking the rig?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My slightly tongue in cheek answer is use adobe illustrator (vector) so you don't need to. (For photoshop, i think you just have to  adjust the rigging afterwards - but oksamurai may know better!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines